Please delete - no longer relivent

The coolant? I thought glowforge will sell some if you contact support. They have posted about it before.

3 Likes

As noted impinging the flow of coolant could have damaging effects on the life of the tube. Since it is a basic, it is already pushing the limit. If instead of just making it narrower I believe that the liquid-cooled desktop computers have a way to cool the liquid there so instead of having it be a problem it could be a solution.

1 Like

Deleted

2 Likes

@yoyodyne2112 do you have any parts / insight?
additional tubing / and / or coolant?

@MyDogsThinkImCrazy I did a search and can’t find GF, inc talking at all about
spare coolant for sale, can you give me a link? - THANKS!

1 Like

That is a complete setup. there were pieces under $50. Just putting the fluid through a radiator even without the fans would make a big improvement. With the fans, it should have operating temps closer to a pro. (or beyond?)

1 Like

Deleted

4 Likes

Deleted

3 Likes

I wouldn’t think it would be much but if it’s a concern then using push fit connectors instead of barbed ones would leave the internal diameter of the hose unchanged for the length. The push fit connectors are larger though so he’d have to plan for the space needed for those (probably not a big deal with the space available under the GF).

2 Likes

Deleted

1 Like

Yeah I’d be looking for longer direct replacement for the hoses. Too bad openglow shut down.

1 Like

Deleted

1 Like

(Some speculation here but I think it’s pretty reasonable)

Well one thing to remember is that Glowforge doesn’t really manufacture many (if any) parts, they just source and assemble the bulk of the machine. So they get this hose from somewhere, and the chances are they chose hose that is fairly inexpensive and easily sourced — why reinvent the wheel?

The coolant is no doubt pretty gentle as a chemical… It’s not like they need some specialized hose to handle caustic liquid. So generally all you need to know is internal and external diameters of the hose and you should be able to source replacement, from someplace like McMaster Carr. For all we know this is the exact same hose that’s used for windshield wiper fluid applications in automobiles.

Now your main challenge is figuring out how to keep the coolant from leaking everywhere while you remove and replace the hose. If it were me I would probably drain it all and seal it up and then replace the hoses while the system is empty. Only then would I refill it.

3 Likes

Deleted

2 Likes

Deleted

1 Like

There is a bit of discussion regarding coolant and electrical diagrams here: FrankenForge ... a Glowforge salvage project - #31 by PaPaSteve - Laser Engravers/Cutters - Maker Forums

2 Likes

Relocate the coolant reservoir instead of manipulating the tubing, and for all that is holy, get rid of that dryer hose.

Personally, if I were doing this, I would upgrade the intake fan and seal the original exhaust port. Since this is a Basic model, there’s no need to direct the airflow to the rear corner of the cabinet, no heat sink to feed, so once you’ve completed the lower enclosure, make it a downdraft system and pull the exhaust to the bottom. I would also incorporate a filter system in the lower enclosure, to make maintenance easier.

5 Likes

Deleted

1 Like

Deleted

1 Like

Without looking at my Glowforge (it’s boxed and awaiting shipment to our new home in Hawaii), locate the fasteners that secure the coolant reservoir and coolant temperature sensor, remove them then drain the coolant from the tank. If you have a couple of pairs of hemostats, clamp off the coolant tubes to avoid having to bleed the system, then remove the reservoir and extend any wiring that exists for the circulation pump and sensor. Extricate the coolant tubes from their existing path, then redirect them to the cabinet below, extend the necessary wiring, then reassemble and refill the coolant.

While you’re relocating the reservoir you might also consider installing an inline radiator, the type you use for cooling a computer processor, to improve cooler performance and better temperature control.

2 Likes

Deleted

1 Like