Pocket Tictactoe Drawer Magnetic Latch Modification

Here is a modification for the nice Pocket Tictactoe design presented by arh2 at Free Laser Designs Pocket tic-tac-toe - Egyptian themed. Only the drawer and box back side are modified and shown here. Other parts are identical to those in reference above.
IMG_5795
IMG_5796
IMG_5797
The drawer has been slightly resized and has a magnet mounted at its back. On the back side of the box is a second magnet mounted to attract the drawer. Some options for magnets found at Home Depot are Master Magnet, 3/8 in. Neodymium Rare-Earth Magnet Discs (12 per Pack), 0.060 inches thick, toroid shape; or Magcraft, Rare Earth 3/8 in. x 1/16 in. Disc Magnet (40-Pack).

Here is a video of the drawer closing itself.

pocket tictactoe magnetic latch drawer GF FLD summary
A Workflow zip has suggestions for processing and assembly.
Workflow for Magnetic Latch Pocket Tictactoe.zip (13.6 KB)

45 Likes

Great adaptation - especially useful when traveling!

7 Likes

Apparently I somehow missed @arh2’s original post, so now I have it and your adaptation @brij09. So now I have them both, and thank you both!

9 Likes

The magnet idea is brilliant!

8 Likes

Fun. Thanks for sharing t

6 Likes

and @brok09 Yes, this is a wonderful idea. It struck me that it looks a lot like a magnetic purse clasp. [I’m typing this stream-of-thought so I don’t forget…]

I’ve used kpurses clasps before; they have really good holding power–some might be too good though. I imagine the box material might have to be tweaked with a engraved depth for mounting? I don’t have one handy so I can’t look. Hey @MyDogsThinkImCrazy does this sound workable? How are they for price? I seem to remember buying a package of them from sewing notions was not too bad. Even if it’s not suitable for this one, it might be a useful addition to other GF projects.

7 Likes

Very cool idea!

5 Likes

I totally made this for the kid next door. I only had 1/4" magnets so I adjusted the engraving hole - and I made the pieces out of thick material so it was easier to grab them when you’re playing, and lastly I scored instead of engraving so they can colour it in if the urge hits them!

What’s funny is that I’ve had @arh2 's designed saved for ages, but I only recently got a kid next door - so thanks for reminding me about it!

I scuffed up all the surfaces so they are both smooth - and look aged to match the theme :stuck_out_tongue:

10 Likes

Nice! I like the notion of the pieces being thicker.

7 Likes

Magnets are a great addition.

5 Likes