Polyhedra Starter Kit

Oh geez. It’s 5 1/4 across. I opened it in Illustrator. Never had this problem before…

1 Like

Make sure it’s set for 96 dpi. I noted in the OP that the sides should be 2.5" each, but I guess I didn’t really emphasize it much. :wink:

1 Like

So this may be a stupid question. My document settings only have a raster setting for DPI, and that is set to 72. Where else would I change this? Never had this problem before.

I don’t use Illustrator, so I don’t know, sorry! The other option would be just to scale the whole thing until the sides of the polygons measure exactly 2.5 inches.

Interesting. When I load your SVG into the glowforge, it’s the correct setting. But once I put it into Illustrator it gets all chooched up.

1 Like

Ended up having to install Inkscape. Copied each item on its own into a new Illustrator document. Thanks for the tip, and the awesome work.

1 Like

We bought the Glowforge to augment our quilting and woodworking hobbies and it has really been a lot of fun. We are especially thankful for the kind people of the forum sharing their talents (and files :grinning:) @geek2nurse - Thanks for these great files.

I wanted to create a little larger dodecahedron, so I scaled it up and used 6mm baltic birch plywood to create something that could be a stool or a small end table. It is about 18" high. I really liked what @pubultrastar did with his icosidodecahedron, but prefer not to see the screw heads. To cover up the squares for the connectors I cut another 3mm baltic birch panel with a five-sided celtic knot. The top and bottom are just solid without the celtic knot design.

35 Likes

I hadn’t thought of using them as furniture – they do come out impressively solid!

3 Likes

Yeah, that looks great! :grinning:

Thank you very much !!! this would take me a week to draw up on my own =)

2 Likes

Hi Cathy! How did you scale it up? I’m curious how you went about doing it because when I do this it is usually a very time consuming process involving lots of trial and error. Might you share the scaled up version in this thread? I’d love to make a large one.

Thank you so much for this Ruth!

1 Like

I just scaled it up in Inkscape, with a little bit of trial error to size the connectors to work with the plywood that I had. Here is the file I wound up with, but I never would have gotten here without Ruth’s work to create the originals above.

dodechedron-large

3 Likes

@cathyfarris Do you print this on 1/4 plywood or 1/8 inch plywood?

Thanks so much

@cathyfarris said up above that her version uses 6mm wood, which would be 1/4" plywood. :slight_smile:

1 Like

@geek2nurse Approx how tall/wide? are the ones you make with 3mm Ply?

Depends which one you make. I’ve either given away or packed all the ones I’ve made (we’re in the process of moving), so I don’t have any handy to measure. The shapes in the SVG up in my first post all have 2.5" sides, though, so you can kind of tell from that how big the finished polyhedron will be. The photos taken on top of my GF should also give you a sense of scale.

I made an icosahedron for my co-mother-in-law today. I got halfway through before noticing I was using silver Rub ‘n’ Buff instead of gold (deceptive lighting, argh!) but she liked the silver. Whew.

8 Likes

I think that is a Icosahedron. 20 sides? A dodecahedron is 12 faces with pentagons. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Oops, you’re right! (Fixed it!) I started out planning to make a dodecahedron, and changed my mind, but I guess the name got stuck in my head. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes