Poop Box

I got all three editions of Poop: The Game for my #1 son for his birthday, and decided they should have an appropriate deck box.

The box is made from PG plywood – maple with a liner of basswood, and walnut for the inlaid “poop,” which has PG acrylic eyes and mouth. The walnut band was kind of a happy accident – I somehow messed up the dimensions so the lid wouldn’t lower all the way with the cards inside, so I added the walnut strips to close the gap. It looks 'way better with the walnut than it did before. :wink:

Also: Hey, @evansd2–see? I can do inlays too! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

43 Likes

I never had any doubt. You did a triple nested one no less, did you flip mate each “layer”? It can get confusing with kerf adjustment, tricky to keep it straight as you build it up.

8 Likes

Love the fingers and the walnut. :heart_eyes: It makes a great racing stripe! I was thinking engraved walnut drips… but nah. :poop:

5 Likes

Excellent job as usual.

Next iteration requires googly eyes though. :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You really nailed it! I agree, the walnut strip really adds a certain something. And I like the way you finish your edges.

5 Likes

The initial “poop” layer wasn’t flipped, because I got confused; I’d already cut the box parts right-side up planning to flip the poop (never really thought I’d see myself typing that phrase…), then realized the poop had engraves on it and didn’t want to start over. It was a tight fit, but it went together with them both right side up. The rest were flipped in alternating directions, though.

The hardest part was minimizing the distortions in the curves when I expanded the lines. I manually added nodes (AD doesn’t seem to have an “add nodes” function) and that helped, although it didn’t completely stop the distorting.

9 Likes

In most cases a double click on the place adds a node :sunglasses:

That’s how I did it. Apparently Inkscape will add a whole bunch all at once if you ask it to.

3 Likes

Yes. I mainly just wish it would spread them out evenly the way Blender does, It makes one from many but then you have to select each case and I find myself laboriously going through everything adding or collapsing as I go. There is some that can be done in the trace function but I have not narrowed down the ideal settings.

1 Like

To the point that you can get thousands of nodes very quickly and crash it if you’re overzealous. :slight_smile:

…Or so I’ve heard from other people definitelynotme

8 Likes

Inkscape will add one node where you double-click, or exactly halfway between selected nodes if you use the “Add Node” button - so if you select all nodes, it will double (-1) the total node count, evenly distributed between adjacent nodes.

I use it to create tabs across a straight edge, much easier and flexible than using the tab box generator.

5 Likes

very cool!

2 Likes

Not really. You of all people know the apps well enough. Divide a line into segments, offset the nodes you need to define the tabs.

Quick and simple for designs that aren’t actually boxes.

2 Likes

Nice results, I’m sure it will make a splash.

4 Likes

How could I not open this thread? LOL

5 Likes

And here I thought it was going to be an ornate poop box for your small dogs! :poop:
This is way more fun - nice job on the inlay!

4 Likes

Less so if you put a layer of paper down first like masking.

4 Likes

I really dig your poop.

5 Likes

said the dog to the cat.

6 Likes

What an exceptionally fun box! Looks perfect for the task!

1 Like