Poppy for Remembrance Day

In Canada, and many other Commonwealth countries, it’s Remembrance Day. We wear poppies to honor members of the armed forces who fell in battle. The date was chosen because this day, in 1918, marked the end of the first world war.

This particular Remembrance Day, I’m in trouble with my 8 y.o. this morning because I forgot to get a poppy for her to wear to school. But, fortunately, the Glowforge has come to my rescue:

If you want to make your own, here’s the SVG file:

poppy

If you make one, please go donate to your local Legion - these guys rely heavily on donations from this time of year, and I imagine Covid is not going to help out.

33 Likes

Thanks for the file and the reminder to be generous.

5 Likes

Very nice. In the US today is Veterans Day, it sounds the same, but I don’t see many wearing flowers. The poppies do hold significance for soldiers fallen on the battlefield here too though (our WWI museum has a field of them as you enter).

7 Likes

Unbelievable I forgot. Now I feel so unpatriotic. Thank you for posting.

4 Likes

I only remember because it is a “bank holiday” so I don’t have to work today! But, everyday is a good day to remember our veterans and the sacrifices they made for us.

5 Likes

It is remembered worldwide as Armistice Day, the day the cease fire was signed (at the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month) on the front - although the official peace treaty was signed months later.

The US and some other countries have renamed it over time.

7 Likes

I did not have any military family members and everyone I knew who went into the military is thankfully alive except one. I always think of him. He was a Navy Seal.

Dance with the Angels my old friend

7 Likes

Today you can celebrate your living veteran friends too. I can’t recall poppies being involved in any holiday, though I feel like a long time ago I made a donation and received these little paper clip flowers for something.

Found it on the VA website:

“The wearing of poppies in honor of America’s war dead is traditionally done on Memorial Day , not Veterans Day . The practice of wearing of poppies takes its origin from the poem In Flanders Fields, written in 1915 by John McCrae.”

9 Likes

Nice save!

“Those who have long enjoyed such privileges as we enjoy forget in time that men have died to win them.” –Franklin D. Roosevelt

6 Likes

That is SO true and profound even now.

5 Likes

In the US, VFW volunteers sell poppies in May of every year . This year COVID-19 has severely impacted this major fund-raising effort on the behalf of veterans. If you are so inclined, please consider making a donation at https://www.vfw.org/community/community-initiatives/buddy-poppy or contacting a local VFW Post.

I’m proud to be a Life Member of VFW Post #1 in Denver.

8 Likes

Excellent reminder. I didn’t really think about it but now have done my little bit.

4 Likes

And, just in case you aren’t aware the legion has an online store. Some nice stuff.

2 Likes