Post-Snapmarks Tantrum

Strange behavior this evening. Did not do this yesterday. The machine does its centering and Set Focus tasks normally without any issues. But after running it’s Snapmarks routine, it decides to throw a tantrum against the back wall of the machine. The GUI shows the “Looks good” bar as if everything related to getting the Snapmarks and aligning the project went as planned.

Video uploaded at the link below. I restarted it several times, including cleaning as a precaution and it did this 3 times. The 4th time I decided to locate my project manually as done in the past and it’s currently engraving with no issues. So appears to be only after the Snapmarks function.

I really hate the sound of the head hitting the wall. I would align manually to avoid that nasty sound and any damage that goes with it.

1 Like

The thumping is the stepper motor slipping, it’s not going to hurt anything, but you probably don’t want to keep doing it.

If it’s not happening during normal printing, you might want to avoid trying to use the Snapmarks until you can ask about it on the Beta thread here:

(The engineers only monitor that thread for Snapmark related issues.)

1 Like

I wasn’t sure if I should post it there or not since the Snapmarks process seeming completed successfully and this didn’t happen until after it had finished. So I didn’t feel like it was specifically a Snapmarks issue itself. I’d like to give them a chance to check the logs and then decide where to go from there.

I get the feeling that snapmarks are a means to an end. An insight into computer vision. Using the beta testers experience as a rung in the ladder to getting where they want to go with the camera and visual registration. Another step towards the goal.

My machine continues to evolve. How cool is that?

1 Like

As useful as Snapmarks have been, I look forward to getting something better.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the details. I’m looking into it now. As soon as I have more information I’ll update this thread.

1 Like

I’m so sorry for the trouble.

You shouldn’t see this behavior again, but if you do, please let us know!

I’m going to close this thread. Thanks for letting us know about this!