Postcard box for a time capsule

quick turnaround work project. yesterday afternoon, we were told we needed to make a small stack of postcards to go in a time capsule for a grand opening of a military hospital we designed (Ft Bliss). i thought, “postcards by themselves? that seems lame, we need a box.”

found a nice piece of walnut i had, engraved one of the original site drawings on it (along with our logo and the project name) and created a sleeve box. had to fit into a box that was 4" on the smallest dimension, so it’s 3.8" x 5.75" x .375". two sheets of walnut and a u-shaped sandwich filler. sanded edges and a couple of coats of watney’s walnut oil et viola. might have been able to do some nicer edge rounding if i wasn’t rushing through it, but i’m happy with it.

39 Likes

That’s making it extra special - nice touch!

5 Likes

Excellent use of the walnut. This is so much better than tossing in postcards.

4 Likes

That looks great!

4 Likes

I like it. Might have picked a lighter colored wood, but it will look great 25 years from now when they bust it open.

4 Likes

What a brilliant idea! Imagine pulling this out of a box you find in a couple of hundred years?! Excellent!

4 Likes

I like the way you think! Excellent idea and execution!

4 Likes

Oh yeah, that definitely makes the postcards worth digging up!

3 Likes

Did you separate the postcards with some kind of archival paper between the postcards and the wood as well? Over time in uncontrolled (although sealed) climate I would expect the postcards to potentially stick themselves together and possibly for the wood finish to migrate through the wood and into the postcards as well. Especially newly finished & uncured, getting vaporization of the finish as it cures. The archival paper separators (or even something as simple as baking parchment paper) would keep everything from potentially welding itself together.

6 Likes

that’s a good point. i’ll have to look for something. since they’re leaving in an hour or so, i will be limited. i’m not worried about the wood finish, i didn’t finish the insides (figured the oil on the cards would be an issue), but sticking together could be. my only worry is do i have enough space to put a spacer in between and still fit the cards in the sleeve.

2 Likes

Maybe just wrap the cards in Kraft paper. Kraft paper is acid free, and it would act as a buffer between the wood and the postcards. Wood is naturally acidic so will eventually yellow the cards.

7 Likes

done. i have a crapload of kraft paper. and just a few minutes before they show up (late) to pick up the package.

1 Like