Power cord length?

OK, if you are going to admit that, I’ll step up.

Making a power connection to an existing outlet for one in the unfinished furnace room on the other side of the wall, I had three wires for each pole that had to connect to the screw-down terminals on the outlet, and they almost fit.
A little voice in my head said “You know, you should really accomplish all those connections in a junction box…”
A couple of months later, I’m reaching in the fridge for a cold one, and my eye lands on that outlet.

Yeah, that’s my work. Needless to say there is a junction box to the side of that outlet, and a nice picture to shame me every time I see it. Just wanted to share that with the world.

Edit; Moral is, if you hear a little voice, listen to it.

10 Likes

You dodged a bullet on that one! My lesson learned was that black=negative/ground is more an automotive thing. :wink:

3 Likes

NS. Can we all just agree on a standard here??

1 Like

Oh man, I’m lucky to still have a house.
But you know, after Naval fire fighting - I am my fire dept.

2 Likes

I thought you weren’t supposed to use a power strip or UPS on the Glowforge. It would invalidate your warranty I thought…

1 Like

Don’t think it has ever been said that the warranty would be invalidated. Support has said they recommend you don’t do it. Probably because they can’t control the reliability or quality of third party power strips or UPS. Some discussions that daisy chaining the surge protectors and built in protection inside the Glowforge could be an issue. Personally consider it more based in an electrical engineering possibility than real world experience but guess it’s possible.

1 Like

What @rpegg said. What they advise and what is ok are two different things. Reading that whole thread I referenced showed why one might not want to give a blanket approval to power strips and extension chords. Mine is heavy duty and part of a government surplus computer desk. Fairly robust and it is the only thing I have plugged in to the outlet and the Glowforge is the only thing on that outlet.

1 Like