Power supply die in < 2 years?

New factory defect discovered
My Team on Facebook have discovered why

** Official Announcement October 01 2022**

Jonathan

4 Likes

Looks like that “hole” in the red cable’s insulation might be caused by repeated arcing—evidence of a manufacturing defect in the wire’s insulation? I presume that red wire supplies power to the laser? Yet another thing to worry about! :sunglasses:

Are all those photos of different machines? How many separate instances have you found?..and is there a chance that there’s something near that cable that could be rubbing against it to cause that?

1 Like

I’ve worked on 35+ machines, so I have a really great understanding of what went wrong and how to fix it! – and yes MOST are different machines, the name of the picture is WHERE the burn thru was on the cable.

Jonathan

2 Likes

I would like the benefit of what you have found, but not enough to join FB again, sorry jon.

4 Likes

Agreed, I hope the information can become available to those of us who don’t like Facebook.

2 Likes

What is the point of posting this information on the GlowForge forum just to ask people to join another forum for the answer?

3 Likes

I’m no longer an active member here, THIS is pretty important information, and there are enough members on here that are on the facebook group as well. – I am sure someone will re-post it here.

Jonathan

1 Like

I may not be seeing the whole picture but it looks like you went out of your way to post a teaser instead of something genuinely helpful.

My team on Discord will be discussing this.

5 Likes

That’s why News programs have exclusives, so you watch them.

if you don’t find this helpful, I won’t post. -

You’re no longer an active member, but still posting? You’re sure someone will re-post it here yet you won’t do it yourself? As Walter Matthau said in a rather amusing movie… “that dog don’t hunt”

5 Likes

Fine by me, glowforge charges $1600 now to repair it, and we love supporting glowforge.

I think the critics here need to get a grip for a second. If you’ve ever tried to write up technical documentation, it takes a great deal of effort. If I wrote or was planning a round table discussion for something as complicated as a breakdown of the power supply somewhere else there is no way I would re-create it here — it just takes too much work. I would give people a pointer to that other location just like @Deleted did.

There are many of our users who do nothing but post links to their Facebook or Instagram pages, yet they get no criticism. What @Deleted posted was relevant and useful. We should be thanking him for taking the time to let us know rather than getting hung up on the way that he told you about it.[1]

1. If anything is a forum violation, it’s going after him for the way he posted. We respond to ideas, not tone, but more importantly, we recognize it anything people post here is a gift of their time. It’s all in the FAQ. “If someone takes the time to reply to something you post, it’s an act of generosity and giving of their scarcest resource, and it means they appreciate you being here.” ↩︎

6 Likes

while i agree with all you said, i wish Jonathan had posted a link to the post itself in FB instead of just to the group. i’m not looking to join a FB group or to try to search a FB group (which has always been problematic). but i’d love to read the post/thread itself.

6 Likes

Glowforge Official response.

6 Likes

Could be wrong, but I don’t think a non-FB member can read any post made in a FB group, so what you suggest wouldn’t do any good.

that really depends on the group settings. if it’s set private, for members only, then yes. this one seems to be a public group. i spent about 2 mins looking for his post, then just gave up.

I didn’t even know you could set things to be available to non-FB members. Learned something new…

I thought he said the post isn’t available until Oct 1st.

There is a glowforge discord??? I want to join!