Power Supply Unit (PSU)

For reference I already have an open ticket (230628). But appears our home (GF Plus) had a bit of a mishap today and just wanted to see if other have experienced similar.

I’ve been running 2 machines (basic and PRO) since basically the beginning. A few years now. And they are workhorses. Especially the basic. Neither of those have had any issues except a ribbon cable, easy fix. But today the wife just pressed the go button and then about 5 seconds in… A loud POP.

Did all the check the cable, check the outlets, etc., etc…Swapped the power cable with one from a new PC build I just did. And nadda, zero power or life. While I am still in trouble shoot phase with GF support (which BTW got back to me within a few hours), Imma a little bothered that this thing may have failed. Searching here and google shows its actually not that common, but was just curious if its been discussed in detail (zero power) and what possible causes may have been other than just faulty PSU. Just want to see if there is anything I can look at while waiting on next steps lol.

Anyone with forum experience have some reading material for me on this issue while I wait for next steps?. This machine is about 5 months old and timing isn’t the best. Have some open orders to fulfill. Hoping I can lug the Pro over here to the house in the interim while we get this sorted out, but kinda need that at the shop…

Also looking to buy a backup (2nd home plus) machine, but interested about any Power failure issues before I pull he trigger on that. Again, already started a ticket (ref# above) via email and that’s in the works. Thanks and hope all are doing well out there :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Could be the power supply or the laser tube. Neither are user-serviceable. You don’t want to go messing with the power supply. It puts out 15kV.

2 Likes

Oh ya. Im not messing with anything lol. Was more talking about something more obvious. Would a tube failing cause ZERO power though? Just the wife telling me heard a loud pop pointed me to the PSU. But nobody knows for sure until its looked at I guess. I did peek real good in there and visually nothing wrong. Sucks cuz I had some cool stuff wanted to work on today lol. Oh well things happen. Its been great up until this. Runs like a champ

2 Likes

The tube contains pressurized CO2. If it blows, it is no longer a laser.

2 Likes

Just FYI, posting here opens a support ticket too, so you can skip the email step next time, if you want both Support input and community input. That way we get to find out what the answer was, instead of them closing the thread to resolve the duplicate ticket. :wink:

2 Likes

Well ya got a real good point there lulz. While were on the tube topic. Heard of anything that could cause a tube to go out early?. Like I mentioned in the OP my other 2 machines have been going for over 4 years now I think (cant remember the GF launch) and still going strong. This one just decided it didnt want to play nice today lol.

Ya after all this time I never really got involved in the forums. That changes today lol…And thank you very much for the heads up. Learning while I go ;).

2 Likes

They have an expected 2-year lifespan. If you’re using it for business, you’re way ahead of the curve.

1 Like

You’ve missed a lot! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So many years of reading to do lol. Should keep me busy thats for sure :wink:

2 Likes

It took me a whole 3-month recovery from ankle surgery to get up to speed, and there’s probably exponentially more content now. Better get started! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

Both @evansd2 and I have had our PSUs replaced after hearing a loud pop. I’ve done a fair amount of dissembly on my machine and I can confidently say that the power supply is best left to the pros to replace. If you’re “lucky” and it is a tube issue, those are quoted at $499 for replacement with roundtrip shipping, which is less than what others have been quoted at for lesser replacement parts. I was under warranty when mine gave out, so I can’t say what the cost of repair on it would be, perhaps evansd2 can, I think he was out if he’s willing to share that.

Oh I just reread what you wrote, is the machine still within warranty? The beginning of your second paragraph says you’ve had both for several years, but you mentioned that this particular machine was only 5 months old, meaning it would still be under warranty. Either way, I’m just tossing in that I’ve had this issue before and support took care of me then.

3 Likes

Ya I could have written my post a bit more clear lol. This one is the Plus model and only 5 months old. But thank you very much, this was actually very helpful because you described what we experienced with the pop. And glad to hear GF took care of things. I’ve only had to deal with a single ribbon cable on one of the other machines and while out of warranty… Support was great and the part was cheap and easy to replace with the instructions they sent along. So it was back at it in no time. Appreciate the input :slight_smile:

1 Like

I feel your pain. Power supply loss is a serious drag.

2 Likes

OK so support has been great so far! But for those who have, or have heard of other who have had to return units under warranty and had them replaced with REFURB machines… How did those refurb units hold up? I know these things have potential to run for years basically trouble free, the other two machines I have are going on 3-4 years old now. But not knowing some of the previous life usage of a refurb machine (previous owners) raises a few obvious concerns (i.e. how old the tube, fans, motors, lenses and mirrors may be, etc.). So just curious if anyone has had experience with a refurb replacement unit or knows someone who has, and had it running for a good long while after replacement. Or just anything else I can expect during the process :slight_smile: Thanks

I believe the refurb only applied to replacements under warranty. If you’re out of warranty, your machine will be repaired.

1 Like

This particular machine is under warranty thankfully :). About 5 months old on a PLUS

Sorry… reading comprehension fail…

1 Like

Well Im not the best writer either lulz

If you like we can move this to Beyond the Manual so support does not zap it?