Practical cut: cat collars

This one photo will have to do. Getting two cats to pose with their new collars was just too much.

Two black cats are hard to tell apart. In my stash I had some non-PG sample leather in different colors. LoverBoy’s collar is tan, and Hercules wears red. I engraved my phone number, along with their names.

These are rather clumsy. as my first effort; hopefully the next iteration will be better. Finished is better than perfect!

41 Likes

Nice! Love the names!

12 Likes

The silver lining is how easy it will be to replace them. After they managed to squeeze out of them. Somewhere.

15 Likes

At least I’ll find them in the house; indoor only. I do have an elastic loop with a low-strength acrilyc hook. This way if they get snagged, the clasp will break pretty easily. They do play rough!

@MakerMatthew I adopted them from a shelter. I named Hercules right off; he’s strong and adventurous. LoverBoy’s name came from the vet who said, “Wow, what a lover boy!” So, that was his name. LB loves to snuggle.

11 Likes

Hey LoverBoy!

11 Likes

Nice! Especially if they happen to get out. I’m always seeing “have you seen my cat…” on our local FB page.

12 Likes

Agreed. You never think it will happen, but LoverBoy did sneak out past a construction crew when they finished installing my new front door. He came back just before bedtime.

I have a Very Large Set of outdoor chimes. In gentle winds they hum and purr. I think LoverBoy found his way back because of the chimes.

12 Likes

I bet he was singing “Turn Me Loose” to them. :rofl:

9 Likes

Nice job and does everyone remember that I am particularly fond of cats!

18 Likes

Those turned out great!

8 Likes

:100:

Well done

7 Likes

Hah! This reminds me of a true story. I like to watch some of the livestream kitten/cat cams out there. My favorite is Tinykittens. A few years ago they fostered an all black mama cat, and when she was done weaning the kittens, she was adopted by a family that had several (I think 3) black cats, along with another black cat. So they went from 3 to 5 black cats. Shortly after that the adopters had the in-laws come for a week long visit, but didn’t mention the two extra cats. They wanted to see how long it took for the relatives to catch on. Turns out it took nearly the whole week. I think the kicker came when the cats were all chasing each other round and round and at one instant in time they were all in the room at the same time. It was a pretty hilarious series of day-by-day postings on Facebook, detailing all the close calls.

Oh, and I think your collars came out fantastic!

7 Likes

That’s so funny! When I first adopted them, they were small enough they could fit beneath a sofa and chase each other under and over. At times it looked like I had three cats–or at least two cats and three tails.

So, the first iterations of collars have been shed. They were wide, and correspondingly loose. Easy to slip off. Now I’ve sewn another set that is narrower, closer fit, and includes a reflective strip. Makes them easier to find when getting ready for a vet visit. I’ll make tiny ID tags for them on thin plywood.

7 Likes

Good use of material. Nice!

4 Likes