Practical Cut: Design Ruler

When I was a kid, I used to have this odd little design ruler. I have no idea where I got it, but it had straight lines, curves, shapes and such all built into it. I have seen similar things online, but since I have a machine that makes cool stuff, why not make it myself.

This is mostly from memory and may be of use to no one but me. However, as a kid, I designed mazes, space ships and all manner of oddities with it. The shapes are all sized as 1 inch, 3/4 inch, 1/2 inch, 1/4 inch, 1/8 inch. The degrees are the ones I use the most. The left edge is 90 degrees and the triangle coming down from that is 45 degrees.

I am sure some kind soul will come along shortly and tell me the name of this kind of ruler (and likely point out my deviations, because it’s the internet)

Feel free to add to it, modify it and make it.

My Ruler

99 Likes

It’s a drawing template. There are lots of different variations depending on what kinds of drawings you’re making. Here’s a good set from Amazon.

11 Likes

Thank you for the file and the walk down memory lane.

5 Likes

Fun! Nice share!

2 Likes

Cool design and memory! Thank you for sharing your file :+1:

2 Likes

Thank you, my grandkids will love this!

1 Like

Thank you! Great Design!
I had a set of rulers that came in cereal boxes - maybe Lucky Charms? That had neat shapes in them like this.

3 Likes

I remember having something very similar growing up. Thank you for sharing the file because now I have to make 2. One for my son and one for me!

5 Likes

Excellent, thank you!

1 Like

Thank you for the file. That’s a nice layout.

1 Like

My older brother had one of these, and I was so jealous! Now I can have my own. The rat fink would not let me use it.

7 Likes

It’s nice to see that other folks have the same fond memory of this as I do. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

For some of us it was the only way we could draw anything recognizable :slight_smile:

Funny thing, my kids are all much more artistic including one who is a professional.

1 Like

Wonderful, thank you!

shogun…great idea!, but jamesdhatch prefers the amazon version bc apparently he needs a mustache drawing template. Maybe your next version could include that!

I LOVE to see what people come up with!

2 Likes

shogun…great idea!, but jamesdhatch prefers the amazon version bc apparently he needs a mustache drawing template. Maybe your next version could include that!

I LOVE to see what people come up with!

I like your design and I know my grandson would love to play with it. But I cannot see where to download the file to make one for myself. Where can I find the link for the file? Thanks.

You just right click the image and choose “Save As…”

These kept us busy as kids for hours. lol

1 Like

Love it. I have to make one this weekend. Maybe even two. Thank you.

1 Like