Practical cuts

Great work!

While removing the dash from my truck for a stereo replacement, I inadvertently snapped the retaining clips on the passenger airbag disconnect switch.
It is a discontinued part from GM, and the aftermarket seems to have skipped over it, so my options were to buy a used one from eBay and know that the plastic would likely be just as brittle, or to make the one I had fit.

After a few minutes with the calipers I had the shape of the switch module, and figured out a design that would work with the remains of the original mounting tabs.

The design allowed me to avoid using any glue, so it all can come back apart when needed.

I’m pleased with the result!

34 Likes

Dude, that is awesome. What material? White acrylic maybe?

2 Likes

Acrylic, it’s a really light grey.

1 Like

Nice RetroFit.

Will follow in your footsteps!

1 Like

Talk about ugly:

1 Like

Here’s a little flashing/debug jig for a circuit board:

I originally made it in acrylic (Flashing jig - #8 by evansd2), then @eflyguy pointed out that acrylic isn’t so friendly to electronics since it can build up static electricity. So I redid it in wood, easy! It was much easier to align the pin holes in acrylic, so it’s good I did that first. I’ll have to remember that next time I’m trying to line things up where I wouldn’t be able to see them otherwise.

17 Likes

Very nice! :grinning:

A link to mine, as I just became aware of this thread.

4 Likes

I would love to have one of those. Any possibility of sharing your file? Or are you selling them?

A meta-practical print. Bed risers that can replace the crumb tray to lift something to honeycomb height or honeycomb height -0.5" or -0.75".

Files in the original post; 1/8" baltic birch (3mm) plywood should “just work” (as well as anything else that is that thickness).

22 Likes

Today’s mini project was a super simple practical cut… I have some S-hooks on a wire rack over my utility sink, from which I hang various items so they can drip dry. But the S-hooks are easy to knock off the rail, and the hardware store doesn’t have an item which has a nice open hook on one end, and a carabiner on the other.

So, I just made a simple shape that friction-fits the top part of the S and keeps it captive on the rail.

I can rotate the part and remove the hook if needed. The fit is VERY tight but the acrylic held up very well to being torqued, which surprised me. I thought those thin spots would break as I rotated the piece.

(The metal is about .304" diameter and the hole in the acrylic is designed at .010" smaller, a value I found through a few test cuts.)

19 Likes

How about meta-practical cuts?

I’m tossing notes on my experiences, including designs (like the bed risers), on GitHub.

2 Likes

Totally counts.

Front rail of a vice-grip clamp rack. The rest is just 3/4” ply cut on a table saw, but the laser was perfect for the precision bit that spaces them nicely.

21 Likes

Cordless drill battery slide, pull the one from the bottom, they all slide down. That way I cycle through them evenly without wearing one down more than the others.

35 Likes

I want to see the poop flags! Page is gone…

3 Likes

You think?

Another option would be to figure out who and leave a collection on their car hood or similar…

2 Likes

Those were probably flagged and removed per the forum guidelines. We’ve been asked to keep it “G” rated on this forum because kids are viewing the forum with their parents.

If you would like to use a spoiler blur on them yourselves, you probably won’t draw flags on them. (Too many flags and the Discourse system will automatically lock you out.) The spoiler is in the little gear icon.

Sorry, it’s just the way it works.

Forum guidelines are here in case you haven’t seen them yet:

https://community.glowforge.com/guidelines#agreeable

2 Likes

Those guidelines are unrealistic. “Responding to a post’s tone instead of its actual content” is what the entire internet is founded on! :wink:

3 Likes