Practical cuts

I don’t think I’ve seen that sliding lid type before. Can you talk a bit more about it? How is the bottom runner attached? Is it a duplicate, but shorter wall?

1 Like

The second pic shows it pretty clearly, it has two “inner” pieces, presumably just glued to the outer side panels.

Given that wood glue forms bonds as strong as the wood itself, you could also just put thinner strips along there, but repeated alignment for many boxes would be a PIA, so this solution is fast and effective. Personally, I’d use an “n” design to reduce material, but I’m cheap.

1 Like

Love that you were able to use the same footprint for adding to his storage.

That is always my first consideration in my storage needs, Especially in my craft room.

2 Likes

His wife told me last week that they’re almost back to where they were - an overflowing mess… of course I should have told her that a year ago, but it was fun while it lasted. :crazy_face:

2 Likes

Wanted soft(er) jaws for my vice. This is what I did:

Baltic, easy project, some magnet to hold them on the jaws.

Easily replaced when they get dinged up, a pair only takes about 90 secs to cut in Baltic Birch.

32 Likes

Everytime I make something with fingers the scrap also has fingers so I end up with a lot of angles but had not thought of magnets to hold them in place.

4 Likes

So this one was really stupid but effective. My spouse had a birdfeeder that needed to be elevated for the winter to reduce the amount of seed going to the local deer. And a piece of pipe and a receiver for it that fit a completely different feeder bottom. (The receiver on this bird feeder fits a different pipe size because of course it does.)

Meanwhile I had some delrin sheet edges left over from doing a job for someone. A minute with inkscape, three minutes on the laser, and this should be effectively indestructible. Whee!

16 Likes

I love stupid but effective. I’ve done a few of those myself and they give me great satisfaction.

6 Likes

publicsculpture - do you sell the plans to this dewalt battery holder? could really use it and don’t think I can design it myself lol

This is a long thread, you might want to include a link to which thing you’re referring to.

2 Likes

dang you’re right, thought it was linked to the picture - dewalt battery stand

2 Likes

It is, you click the little “in reply to” arrow.

4 Likes

Here’s the two PDFs I created to make the battery slide. May need to adjust based on thickness of material, I think I used normal 1/8" thick Proofgrade stuff.

battery_slide_01.pdf (5.9 KB) battery_slide_02.pdf (5.1 KB)

7 Likes

Thank you for sharing!!! Really awesome!

2 Likes

Moved to a new place, modem had to be installed in the bedroom. It has remarkably bright status lights that blink on and off, bathing the room in pale blue light every few seconds… kind of like having a neon sign outside the window.
So I made a box with no floor to put over it, with ventilation holes strategically placed away from the LEDs. The fit was too tight to hide the wires, so I made a second box with no floor or top, for the first box to sit on. Now the blinky lights stay in the box, but the internet can still come out of it.

33 Likes

Nicely disguised too! :sunglasses:

5 Likes

why, thank you!

3 Likes

OMFG those blinking lights kill me! In my case it was my charger not my modem, but this is a brilliant (heh) solution to that problem :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Looks great! In fact it looks very much like a radio we had growing up.

5 Likes

A great design.

3 Likes