Practical cuts

Agreed, I immediately thought of the old bakelite radio that my dad had sitting on the mantle.

6 Likes

LOL same thing I was thinking … I was scrolling and scrolling looking for the next “Practical Cut” and snickering at this…then your post just made me LOL. At least you all are amusing. Onward with the scrolling…this is officially my “laser day” and I am going to show hubby tonight I can get some of the designs from Mark Collier completed today…

1 Like

I haven’t started into the boxes like these yet…hubby said I need to use some of the designs I have purchased and make headway into the stash. I am curious…how do you figure out how to make a sliding top if you are joining the boxes in this fashion?

@elfguy I don’t know what an “n” design is. Maybe I can find a pattern of something that looks kinda like it and could figure it out…but wait…it wouldn’t have to have the joiners on the top in order to make it slide…that was just a design element, was it not?

This could really help hubby’s disorganization his aren’t screws…they are raspberry pi, cords, boards, tiny LEDs, and all the other teensy things that go with them. Thought about a cantilever (plastic) tool box I saw at the Sears Home Store … but wasn’t even sure that would help. …and I’m not one to talk without admitting I do not nearly have enough storage space for all my kit’n’kaboodle.

2 Likes

OMG I love this! Makes me wish my work wasn’t so digital … I would love to do an outline like this of my car!! Only thing I have to “keep” is my small notebooks I write in (journal size). I asked for a paperclip at work yesterday and my co-workers started digging in their desks…and came up with ONE small paperclip!! LOL This looks fantastic. What wood is that? I like the grain in it.

1 Like

I am a huge fan of the stanley organizers for this sort of thing. You can see what you have in there, and the bins are removable. Really good build quality. Most importantly, when it’s closed, all your little resistors and stuff stay in their bins, they never seem to jump into neighbor bins even if you carry it around like a briefcase. Really good storage units.

https://www.amazon.com/Stanley-25-Removable-Compartment-Professional-Organizer/dp/B00005QWYF

Lasering something up would be interesting, but when you factor in time and effort and materials, the Stanley option really looks good.

They make another version with bigger and deeper compartments as well, for slightly larger things.

9 Likes

Good idea…reminds me of the cantilever box at Sears. This would be easier to carry around the house because his projects seem to migrate from our very FULL tech room (extra bedroom) to the living room or the diningroom. This would at least make it easier to carry. I’ll show that to him tonight! Thank you for the link!

Wish I could create some time to get back into raspberry pi projects. Have several ideas, just not enough time…getting our stuff organized is higher at the moment.

1 Like

I use them a lot! Also, they can be easily customized to hold other, even smaller stuff:

22 Likes

I used the :proofgrade: Medium cherry ply for this project.

1 Like

I got this design from a box app on the web I just played with the numbers til I got the size and dimensions I needed. I originally made these for gift card boxes for Christmas year before last. once I found the desired measurements for a giftcard I adjusted for a bit of candy to add in and poof.

https://www.festi.info/boxes.py/CardBox

ab04e9f0cdccd688bf41e180cb50363fb5248409_2_375x500

The extra one I had for Christmas is the bottom center with the “God Jul” on it.

2 Likes

Bowing down to the ultimate fan of Stanley organization boxes!

3 Likes

I’ve been threatening to make these for two years, since I got my GF. I open and close my living room blinds every day, and there are two, so that’s about 1400 times I’ve had a 50/50 shot of pulling the correct one when it’s time to close them the correct way. :slight_smile:

12mm and 1.5mm circles, 1mm slot. Med black acrylic, just on the ones to close them (black :: dark.)

28 Likes

It’s like the dot of fingernail polish on your USB plugs! Brilliant, and yet so simple :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Gotta love how leatherworking drives the need for more and more space and organizers!!!

1 Like

I’m not going to explain what this is for until tomorrow. Mostly because my phone is in another room and I’m too lazy to go get it and take a picture. But also because mystery.

5 Likes

A test tube holder for your COVID-19 test? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

6 Likes

Quarter for scale. More doll house furniture?

Not quite.

Needed a quick way to stick a camera on top of my iMac for a video conferencing trick that couldn’t be done with the built-in webcam.

20 Likes

Seems like you should have put a laser on that camera then put a few servos so it would be a turret, then using OpenCV recognize COVID-19 particles near you and the laser zapped them!

17 Likes

Another practical project. Feels real rewarding to make those. :blush:

3 Likes

And here I thought maybe it was the start of your “eat the rich” guillotine diorama.

4 Likes

My guess was pretty far off - and far out. I will keep it to myself.
Nice camera mount.

3 Likes