Practical cuts

If you have the same table I’ll share the file. I may post in free designs once I get time to figure out what went wrong with the fourth dowel hole. Though three are plenty.

3 Likes

Mine is a little different but thank you for offering. :blush:

2 Likes

Non-destructive hanging rod for a cubby:

Already repositioned once, then a second was requested. No messy screws or extra hardware! (Except for the reclaimed pipe…)

29 Likes

Eldest daughter is into food photography and got a ring light. She often wants to diffuse the light, and after playing assistant (holding the diffusing sheet) I designed an adjustable arm that snaps into the ring.

Using hook-and-slot and other easy joints and an adjustable sliding arm, it was a hit

The hardest part was dialing in the curves… Cardboard prototyping to the rescue!

Here’s the thing disassembled.

29 Likes

This is the kind of stuff I love when I’m into functionality…great idea and great implementation!

7 Likes

Gotta love this!

3 Likes

That’s just freaking awesome.
:heart:

2 Likes

That’s sweet. I just did the opposite, which was to mount a small ring light onto my laptop. The problem was how to make it hook over the top of the screen (thank you Johnny Ives for filleting the edges!) so had to make a small clip with a 1/4-20 tappable hole on the top, and now I have a USB powered ring light on top when I need it with friction fit, and slides off without a problem, but I like the diffusion idea you made. But yeah, I cut a whole lot of draft board until I got that curve just right so it wouldn’t wobble.

4 Likes

This is where cardboard really shines IMHO, and it’s so easy to dispose of.

4 Likes

Ingenious!

This is incredible! I could use one of these in my locker at the gym.

Very nicely done! That company should hire you to make those for their lamps.

1 Like

If you start at the very beginning of the alphabet with A…we all know about those kind of holes. Next would follow these…Bee holes. My son-in-law and his dad are getting the Mason Bee ‘houses’ set out in their organic blueberry fields and requested these 2.5" round, white disks with tiny holes in them for the bees to lay their eggs. I made 13 of them using up some scrap acrylic.

Mason bees are excellent pollinators and are more than welcome every year.

15 Likes

This is rather cool! We had some mason bees one year.

4 Likes

I hope the bees thrive. We need them.

2 Likes

cool. i made a bee hotel last summer and just put it up a couple of weeks ago. but no glowforges were used. all scraps of wood/reeds/bamboo, then a miter saw, a drill, some wire mesh, and a hammer.

what are they putting behind the acrylic for the mason bees? i haven’t seen something like this.

5 Likes

I understand that the main advantage of honey bees is the honey that other bees do not provide, but both are good pollinators. My first guess would be that the smell of the acrylic might put them off, but would not be amazed if it did not. Carpenter bees are large and a good choice of hole size would prevent them however.

1 Like

I don’t know, but I’ll see if I can find out. Bill and I just did this over the phone and he has yet to pick them up. I’ll see if I can get a photo and a descripton.

(BTW…sent you another message about that pick guard material)

1 Like

Well, leave it to me…I was way off about what the perforated white acrylic disks were going to be used for in regard to Mason Bees. They are not for them laying their eggs in, but for providing food for them. A small mason (of course, what other kind would it bee? :wink: :smile:) jar…like the size for jelly / jam, filled with sugar water and a bit of molasses. These disks are put into the metal ring, which is then screwed on. They are hung upside down and though they drip for a while, after a vacuum has formed inside, the dripping stops and the bee can get food through the little holes. Their actual ‘houses’ are another thing all together.

Bill did tell me though, that the way he and his dad have designed their ‘houses’, they are able to remove the larvae and refrigerate them until time to set them out to hatch. That’s what they were doing today as well as setting up the feeders.

10 Likes

Ah-hah! An itty bitty bee catering service! (Makes more sense, the holes are very small!) :grinning: :honeybee:

6 Likes