Practical project: fixed my dishwasher

I finally fixed something that’s been driving me nuts. See, we put our knives in the dishwasher point down to avoid accidental stabbings, and that really does a number on the plastic silverware basket in our dishwasher. You can buy a replacement basket but they are stupid expensive. So I grabbed my piece of 1/16” Delrin and made a strainer to put in the bottom, like so:

Delrin melts at 347 degF (175degC) and supposedly the dry cycle doesn’t get above 180degF so I should be good to go. Now to make one for each section of the basket.

52 Likes

LOL! That’s awesome.

I find Delrin® to be nice and easy to work with. Cuts nicely, engraves nicely, available in a wide variety of thicknesses and colors… Good stuff.

4 Likes

…and tough!
Great solution!

4 Likes

Indeed. I’ve laser-cut (and engraved) guitar picks for the kids. They use them every day. You can’t even tell they were ever touched. Matter of fact, my younger daughter just asked for some new pick designs. Guess I gotta get on that. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Love the practical solution!

3 Likes

that’s a nice practical fix.

side note: dishwashers are very harsh on knife blades. for us, they’re always a handwash.

4 Likes

True, and we always handwash the good knives. The ones we put in the dishwasher are the cheapo ones that go with the flatware set. This set just happens to have knives with a pointy end.

5 Likes

Great solution!

3 Likes

you know how I like practical cuts and exotic materials so I’m loving this. Good job!

I have a sheet of 1/4 that I find too thick to be practical, I need to get some 1/16 and 1/8 and try them out.

4 Likes

Great idea! (Which I shall now officially pirate…ours gets pretty cut up too. ) :smile:

6 Likes

Love useful household solutions.

3 Likes

I wish it was that easy to fix mine. We have only had it for 3 years, just long enough to be out of warranty, and it just stopped working.

3 Likes

I love this! I love stuff like this! Reminds me of early on when I made an acrylic ‘strainer’…for lack of a better word, to replace a rusted out metal one for an outdoor fountain I have. It’s to keep the water from spashing out when it returns into the pool below.

3 Likes

Made me think of Angus Devon’s strainer for washing resin prints. It’s a long tutorial in Fusion, but you could make something pretty quickly with the Glowforge. Seems to be a handy tool.

6 Likes

stuff like this is what makes the GF worth it

4 Likes

That happened on my dishwasher too, but I didn’t have a laser so I had to buy the stupid expensive replacement. And now I don’t put knives in there bottom down anymore (everyone has to fend for themselves and be careful… But I’m the only one who unloads the dishwasher anyway).

4 Likes

I skipped ahead to the slicer part. Pretty cool trick to use infill settings for the strainer! ChituBox has infill settings but I don’t think they are as configurable as the Prusa slicer.

3 Likes

Where does one get Delrin?

1 Like

I think I got this piece from Amazon, but you can also get it from Inventables, and many plastics suppliers. It’s also known by its generic name: acetal (Delrin is a brand name).

Here’s an Amazon source:

Acetal Copolymer Sheet, Opaque Black, Standard Tolerance, UL 94HB, 1/16" Thickness, 12" Width, 12" Length https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0070ZYI0Q/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_DsRUDbNP2H28S

5 Likes

That is really grate!!! :wink:. Love it, and I love Delrin. My last job made me very familiar … it is such a cool product.

4 Likes