Pre-filter / filter life question

11 Likes

It’s pining for the fjords!

3 Likes

Unfortunately I can’t give you any advice about modifying the filter, other than the very droll and boring (but true) “it is dangerous and will void your warranty, so we recommend not doing it”.

8 Likes

Not really to replace the actal GF filter, but after seeing some of the window screens of some PRUs after engraving a lot, I wonder how some inline removable filter would help or make it easier than cleaning that outside window screen.

Just have a screen in here that can be rinsed or cleaned out every so often (maybe add some carbon screen as well to reduce some odors to the neighborhood. I don’t think having this inline on your exhaust hose heading for the window would void the warranty as it doesn’t restrict airflow (unless you don’t clean it after a while…)

7 Likes

I bet it does more than you think, even when clean!

Edit: I searched around for some idea of what a typical HVAC air filter contributes to the total pressure drop in an average home system. I got the sense that the cheap, non-pleated, disposable types, when new and clean, might contribute 15% to the total pressure drop through all the ductwork, vents, and A/C coils. But there are so many variables that I’m not very confident in that value. I wish we had an HVAC expert on this forum!

3 Likes