Pre-Release | 3D engraving

Looks like the grain was running the other way this time. Is that the case?

5 Likes

It is. An this is by no means quality wood either, so the grain in both is really pronounced.

4 Likes

This is where it needs to cleverly use the depth measuring camera to measure the height errors and do a compensation pass. E.g. this bit is 10% too high so do another pass at 10% of the last intensity to reach the target height.

5 Likes

Well the only problem with that is that it would be difficult to determine what power was needed as the material density differs so much. That would be a tricky feat to accomplish. It might even be something where they would defer someone to a CNC machine instead. Or tell them to stop trying to get quality engraves on a piece of wood meant to go in a grill hahaha

17 Likes

Thanks for sharing so much with us. I’m chomping at the bit waiting for my GF to play just looking at the amazing work here.

Question… 3d Engraving is amazing for what you have been doing. Do you think this type of engraving could be done on other materials as well…say acrylic? I know my fiance was looking to making acrylic snowflake ornaments for everyone next Christmas and was hoping to do multipass 3d engraving on them.

Thoughts?

Greg K.

8 Likes

I would love to see more examples, as I have seen very few… but the very first 3d engrave example that we saw from the GF was acrylic.

3 Likes

Im planning on doing some acrylic engraves soon. I did some test pieces for them last night. Im trying to learn all I can about the process to refine my results. I thought that doing an acrylic engrave would give me cleaner results than wood, but the results wouldnt be too much better at this point based on the way they are currently handling rasterized images. I need to see if they are planning on allowing rasterized images to be engraved without the post-processed dithering.

10 Likes

Ive got one that ive been doing in wood that I wouldnt mind seeing on acrylic. I dont think acrylic 3d engraving is really going to turn out as good as wood currently, but I just started the engrave, so we shall see in about an hour!

5 Likes

Wow, thanks for the response. Looking forward to it!

3 Likes

@gregk2 @jbv

I dont think its going to work for the time being. It just dithers the output instead of changing the power level. I was going to do 2 passes, but it seems it wont work so ill probably stop it after 1. Ill still upload the results =P

8 Likes

Please do! We eat up anything we can get our eyes on lol

6 Likes

Fun fact: It’s “champing” not “chomping.”
Sources: Many. This is one.

SO seriously not trying to correct your grammar! I am not that guy. I was surprised when I found out, so I just that I thought you might want to know. :slight_smile:

I have no direct knowledge, but I’d think acrylic would be possible. Somebody will need to correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m thinking it would require multiple passes as to not melt the acrylic doing it in one run.

6 Likes

Actually, as the idiom has been used for quite some time, “chomping” while it might be the best choice, is still used.

Going by another site. http://grammarist.com/usage/champing-chomping-at-the-bit/

Doesn’t matter to me, actually and no offense taken. :grinning:

3 Likes

Here’s the engrave. (I broke it by accident). No depth whatsoever =\

15 Likes

Whoa! That’s COOL.

2 Likes

Edge lighting help pronounce detail any?:thinking:

4 Likes

It’s all masking. I forgot to invert the image for the acrylic engrave.

10 Likes

Wooops!

Here it is cleaned up. Does kinda look cool. I’ll do another one later since this broke haha. And invert it

17 Likes

Yep, champing.

2 Likes