Pre-Release | 3D engraving

Is it perhaps dithering because they haven’t rolled out 3D engrave yet, so it creates tone by dithering rather than depth?

2 Likes

It’s a cool effect as long as you know going in that that’s the kind of output you’ll have. As always, thanks for running tests and using materials and letting the rest of us learn from your results. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m not sure. It might have been an important step they needed to get done first; having a good default output solution. Maybe more will come down the road

1 Like

Made some new versions of this in walnut, my pro is way better at 3d engraving =)

Left side is 2 passes, right is 1

20 Likes

Awesome to see the differences between the PRU and your Pro.

Wow.

1 Like

On the PRU they hadnt really finished their vary power by grayscale output yet, and it was still a dithered engrave, so the fact that it did 3d at all at that point was surprising. Its incredible now. No other tube laser manufacturer supports 3d engraving that im aware of. I saw a boss laser up for sale recently, so I went to check it out and try 3d engraving on it. here is the result:

Its just a 1 bit engrave. It cant do it. I think the only manufacturers who offer this are those with metal/ceramic tube lasers.

4 Likes

Have you tried taking a tooth brush and orange goop soap to the 3D carving?

2 Likes

That was after toothbrush+soap. I just got impatient on the 2 pass one :wink: im going to clean it up a bit more and poly it soon
The one pass (on the right) got a pretty good cleaning though. Its walnut, so its pretty dark to begin with

2 Likes

I was shocked at how good solid maple cleaned up

11 Likes

yeah its all about the grain. low grain maple is one of my favorite materials to work with

3 Likes