Pre-Release | Another New Material: Grunge Paper

I just wanted to whip up something to put on my sister’s birthday gift for this weekend (already made her an edge lit Happy Birthday sign). So I was leaning toward handmade flowers, and of course I wanted to use the Glowforge. I flirted with the idea of making them out of leather, but knowing my sister they would end up in the trash after opening the gift (she’s not into saving stuff; that’s fine). So I decided to use Grunge Paper from Ranger instead. It is made from recycled paper and has a texture and thickness very much like thin leather, and you can do pretty much the same things to it. Great for prototyping leather things.

I designed the tripetal pieces in Illustrator with the little squiggly edges using the ZigZag filter. Cut out of Grunge paper (cuts like butter).

Then colored with leather dye, stacked a couple, deformed them a bit, and put in a rhinestone brad to hold them together.

Stuck them to the package with thick glue dots, and there you are:

You should really give Grunge paper a try.

71 Likes

wow that is lovely,:heart_eyes: and It looks like leather but disposable :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

I’ve never heard of grunge paper, I’m going to check it out!

6 Likes

I swear, the resources just keep coming. THANX!

7 Likes

I’ve used Grunge paper in the cutters (with some difficulty on some of them). Hadn’t even given it a thought for the laser use! :grin::+1::hedgie:

6 Likes

I LOVE me some grunge paper!! There is so much that you can do with it!

5 Likes

Pretty nice paper! Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Yeesh. Yet another thing on the queue of materials I’ve never heard of that I nowneed to try. That is awesome, and I bet it smells way better than lasered leather too…

11 Likes

As long as you like the smell of charred paper! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

They look super great @cynd11 and doing them by hand would be a little time consuming. Just whip out the laser and taser some paper. And totally unique. You guys on this forum, oh you guys just keep putting awesomeness out there.

7 Likes

Very cool, thank you for sharing this!

Great idea to prototype with this … how thick is it compared to leather (i.e. more similar to the 2-3 oz PG, or??).

3 Likes

I think it is closest in size to the thinnest (1.5 oz?) PG leather. I believe they make a Grunge Board that is thicker but I don’t know if it is flexible like this is.

3 Likes

Eh! They’re nice.

Those look great! I’ll have to give the grunge paper a try. Here’s another post about “fake” leather - though, this stuff may be more expensive:

I ordered the $17 sample pack and have played around with wetting it and scrunching it. Great stuff - looking forward to lasering it: http://www.ctpub.com/kraft-tex-5-color-sampler-pack/

6 Likes

Well, that’s fantastic!

Thanks for the reference–I’ll check it out!

This intererested me, too. Looked on Amazon, and specifically at the link that @cynd11 provided. I was hoping for free shipping, so not sure that’s where I’ll order from. Hopefully, I can find some locally to try.

1 Like

Love the look of this and would love to try some out myself if I can find a decent source. Great work, cynd!

1 Like

I’ve seen it in Hobby Lobby on occasion, in the Tim Holtz section.