Pre-Release - Detail Engraves, Proofgrade, and Why Masking Is Great

Well we are all inferior idiots for buying into a vaporware scam. How could we ever aspire to know how or what they do with their pew pew awesome chinese lasers.

I didn’t spend 6 months tuning my k40 knock off that only runs on crap software. I do not know Pai. And suffering like they do. I must suffer for my creations.

Eye rolling emoticon

17 Likes

hahaha spot on

2 Likes

Links worked - replies seemed downright pleasant! I’m glad folks aren’t giving you a hard time. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Some of the comments on the original thread were pretty negative, but I just closed the tab and found something else to do. I don’t have enough time to waste any of it reading that kind of rubbish.

4 Likes

I have the web cam on it almost all the time and in a window so I don’t have to get up as I work on the next design. I just have to get another monitor plugged in with all the different inputs I’m working on. It’s the food that got me the first month. I went for longer stretches without eating than I had for years!

8 Likes

Leaving some masking on can be cool too

44 Likes

That is incredibly beautiful!

6 Likes

I like that…I wonder if you couldn’t varnish it on? :relaxed:

2 Likes

Wow . . . Just WOW. beautiful both ways.

2 Likes

I was just wondering how long that effect would last before peeling off… or adhering permanently. I’ve seen both from factory-masked products. Don’t know what the shelf-life will be for proofgrade.

5 Likes

The smaller darker pieces like the ones present on the wolf come off really easily. I’d have to coat them in a layer of something to keep them from falling off in my pocket as I carry around my engraved pieces to show off on a daily basis! I try to take new ones into work every day so my coworkers can see, and all my maker friends always want to see them

7 Likes

My “friend” from the Seattle mini-maker faire back in September still has his teeth. I think that coating yours would be a good idea, though. I’ve shown mine off even though it’s not nearly as impressive. My excitement level for this machine, however, is pretty impressive! I constantly worried about the masking coming off in my pocket.

Luggage-tag Bob Cheveron Pants.
https://community.glowforge.com/uploads/short-url/dBbsSmlig5O1Fsla2aQU8NjK4S6.JPG

21 Likes

Re the way the demo video showed an engraving done on a laptop, is it possible for the forge to ‘recognise’ any curved/low domed shape, and engrave something like your wonderful wolf over the curved surface ?
John

2 Likes

Supposedly yes. I don’t have access to the full functionality yet, as mine’s a pre-release, and I only get stuff that’s fairly stable. The beta people know the answer but can’t talk. So really only dan or someone on staff could answer that with any real solidity.

3 Likes

New Year Dieting Miracle Plan…

The Dan Shapiro Glowforge Weight lost “As Seen on The Laser”!

Lose weight without strenuous weight lifting, high intensity cardio or counting calories…

Guaranteed to distract you from over eating, because you forget to buy groceries…

GLOWFORGE :glowforge::squee::squeee::squeeee:

8 Likes

Someone please make some ‘exercises to do while watching your glowforge cut stuff’.

I hope they took into account when designing these things that people will be leaning on them just looking down as they cut, cuz I do it way too much. I worry I’m gonna damage it by leaning too much

11 Likes

Maybe Glowforge will offer a treadmill attachment as an option? :slight_smile:

4 Likes

26 Likes

Outside my knowledge base, but would it be possible in most graphics software to ‘add’ one greyscale image to another ?
If in my previous question I had a greyscale dome, the same size/shape as my work piece, and I could do that, then I’ve got another way of getting there ?

1 Like

If the tape wears off, there is always this option Liquitex Acrylic Paint Markers (they come in fine). I’ve recently tried the markers on wood, and they work like a charm.

I picked mine up at Michaels.

BTW, Bob Cheveron Pants is super fun!

11 Likes