Pre-Release - Detail Engraves, Proofgrade, and Why Masking Is Great

oh yeah. haha he turned tail and ran. If you look at his personal photo gallery youll see the caliber of work hes been doing. Its not what id call… quality

6 Likes

The recap of this FB flamewar is rather amusing … but I’m glad that I’m not witnessing the whole thing in real time. I have little patience for that sort of thing.

12 Likes

I posted on there for the other users that are genuinely interested in the glowforge. There is a lot of goodness in that post, just a few sour apples who want to do their usual snickering in the corner. Ive been as cordial and scientific with them as possible and that really takes the fuel out of their fire.

Im willing to continue posting though so that the rest of the people actually interested can see results for themselves and make decisions based on that and not on hearsay.

11 Likes

Oh, I get that. I wasn’t criticizing your motives, your willingness to act as an ambassador is to be commended. My comment was more about the fellow who criticized your work as “trash” without providing specifics, and then ducked and ran when asked to do a side by side comparison.

I joined that FB group for a minute, but I wasn’t impressed by much of the work that I saw and I was put off by the anti-:glowforge: sentiment. Since my FB feed was already a war zone given our contentious election, I left that group right fast. Just don’t need the drama or negativity :wink:

6 Likes

Glad you posted to Facebook. I did a few and and then stopped mainly because the noise was too high in the comments. I don’t even do my own Facebook profile. The forum is hard enough to keep supplied. Might have to consider a photo dump on FB just because. Especially the matchbox.

8 Likes

I think a lot of the jerks run a lot of other people off. Occasionally there are good posts there, but not worth it most of the time because of the negativity.

I admin a couple of groups on facebook with thousands of members and dont stand for talk like that and will boot anyone who does.

Regardless, its hard to argue against actual samples of work done, so im more than willing to show them they are wrong and have no room to be talking down. Especially with how some of these glowforge engraves are turning out. Im working on a few to post later tonight. I cant wait…

10 Likes

Catching up late with your post. Can you show some screenshots of your process of “color changing” vectors to alter your design?

1 Like

Oh! Now do a pyramid ship!

1 Like

sure:

I changed this:

To this:

17 Likes

Thanks! I was asking more what you were choosing in the gf menu to alter the power/speed basked on the colors in the file?

3 Likes

They look nice. I do wish you had enough spare proofgrade to do a non-masked proofgrade for side-by-side to show precisely what benefit the mask yields in the final result.

I imagine it would be VERY clear though. Those white bits POP. And are pretty obviously where the masking had remained throughout the engrave.

As for the Facebook group… the negativity isn’t just about Glowforge. The old timers of that group are just a bitter bunch of old coots. They grumble and groan about absolutely everything and everyone. I have seen them chase off a lot of good people.

3 Likes

I didnt have to do anything! There are 3 options. I chose the dark one

Then I just hit print and went and watched man in the high castle with my girl, and when the episode was done, so was my stargate!

14 Likes

Ill see what I can do on the no masking front at some point. Im going to revisit the stargate =)

3 Likes

just so everyone knows, please don’t run your laser unattended. this is how fires get out of control.

4 Likes

Thats the great thing about having a movie projector in your office =))). You can do both

15 Likes

truth altho its hard to laser and chill

2 Likes

If someone could share a link to the thread, I’d love to rubberneck. I’m a member of the group but prefer to spend my time here.

Indeed. I know @takitus didn’t, but it can never be repeated too often.

13 Likes

I did get yelled at for standing up to watch it engrave a couple of times… =P

14 Likes

im trying to find a way to get a direct link to the thread… agh! they dont make it easy
theres actually 2 threads now =P
I had to post the results of the engrave I posted here earlier

https://www.facebook.com/groups/441613082637047/807439756054376/?notif_t=like&notif_id=1483832059562237#

https://www.facebook.com/groups/441613082637047/permalink/806424189489266/?comment_id=806813682783650

Are these links working for other people? I obviously cant tell lol

4 Likes