Pre-Release | Girl and Gun

Being from the UK, I am not sure if you have heard of the Bill of Rights of the US Constitution. Basically it’s a short list of some of the rights that we Americans believe have been given to all mankind by God. Such as the right of free speech, freedom of the press, freedom of religion, the right to be secure in our privacy, etc. etc.

And the 2nd Amendment - the Right to Keep and Bear Arms - is the one right that secures & defends all of the other rights. It is the one right that protects mankind’s freedom from a tyrannical government. Free men have the right to keep and bear arms; slaves do not.

And it is as important and as valid today as it was over 200 years ago, because human nature does not ever change. There have always been - and there will always be - tyrants, who wish to enslave mankind.

This video explains it a lot better than I ever could…

6 Likes

this is sliding uncomfortably close to being too political imo

10 Likes

Well, he said he doesn’t understand the gun obsession, nor the compulsion to shoot things since he is from the UK…so I’m just trying to help him understand how and why we Americans embrace the right.

1 Like

sure, you gave one interpretation, and that’s as much as i’ll say.

5 Likes

Yes, which also happens to be the interpretation of the Supreme Court of the United States, in two separate cases (Heller vs District of Columbia, and McDonald vs City of Chicago).

:slight_smile:

1 Like

ugh

3 Likes

At least stating what is based on factual evidence is what’s happened. It’s not really political until people start spouting opinions on what should and should not be.

3 Likes

And obviously @nunzioc doesn’t speak for all Americans.
Having been in the position of confronting trespassing teenagers who were shooting ar10s illegally on (and in to, and across!!) my private minibike track, with nothing but an ole mossberg 500 slung over my shoulder… out where police response is a very long time coming… in a Make-My-Day state…
I can fairly say that there are more than a few different opinions on gun ownership here in America.

3 Likes

I’ve given that a lot of thought over the years (I’m a rifle & pistol instructor). I disagree with this position. Honestly an armed populace can be no more than a mob in the absence of thoughtful discourse promoted by the real bedrock of our liberties - the freedom of the press. The press (used to?) sheds light on the secrets and those who would use ignorance and misinformation to strip us of our freedoms.

I still believe in the 2nd…and the 4th…but the 1st is under siege from those who benefit from the shadows as well as the journalists who have been entrusted to its defense and are now abrogating their responsibilities.

5 Likes

Does a criminal, abusing a right, invalidate the right for all others?

With great power & rights, come great responsibilities.

I think perhaps this is going astray.

3 Likes

Need more target range practice? :grin:

1 Like

I find the direction this discussion has taken is very disturbing.

1 Like

I dont think anyone is disputing the right to bear arms (as explained by the video), more the sense…

2 Likes

I wouldn’t say its disturbing, its been civil and an important subject. Just not one for this forum.

1 Like

Not sure what you find disturbing about it, and I personally didn’t mean to upset you.

If you are interested in history, and prefer a safe environment to learn more about this, then perhaps you can read up on the American Revolution; what led up to it, what the very first battle at Lexington & Concorde was about, text of the Declaration of Independence (especially the grievances of the King’s mistreatment of the colonists; that list is a shocker), and what the Founding Fathers believed in, and perhaps that will help shed some light on why so many in the US embrace our Bill of Rights.

1 Like

I wonder if I can flag myself?

Fun fact…you can in fact flag your own post. :wink:

12 Likes

Just tired. Been up all night!

1 Like

You can have guns in the UK.
Him indoors has a couple of shotguns, a .243, a .308 and his latest a .17.
Oh and couple of air rifles.

1 Like