Pre-Release | Greyscale Engraving, A Comparison to the K40

I haven’t played overwatch but I think I get the gist. :slight_smile:

–dan

5 Likes

Dude, you make my heart sing with this kind of stuff! I love the building of things, but art is what my GF and I will be doing. Keep experimenting and sharing!

21 Likes

The engraving looks fabulous. I like the way you showed the comparison of the others. This is one of the main reasons I wanted a Glowforge. :heart_eyes:

8 Likes

Really nice Philip. Great to have all the comparisons. That is a perfect file to work with and demo.

Chiming in on the differences wood makes to engraving and cutting: The fact that the ProofGrade is skinned in maple is a significant as you say. Maple is denser and the ProofGrade I have is remarkably even in grain and density, so it makes a great surface for engraving. The walnut is good too but still a different grain than the maple.

Cedar definitely is soft and cuts well. I couldn’t cut through a 5/16th piece of walnut I had planed up at 80% 15 in/min, but some white cedar I had that thick and thicker it cut all the way through at those settings.

I’m glad you and Yves are working out all these things. It does give me indications to start pushing my work some more. I spend way too much time in the design side of things, it’s getting faster, but is still tedious.

14 Likes

I love it!

2 Likes

That looks killer! Great example of comparisons too. Saw your post on FB and liked it there too. Thanks for sharing

2 Likes

That turned out really nice. Good work :slight_smile:

2 Likes
38 Likes

Boy, that’s some tight nesting there. Cool! The first time I did an engrave that finished on the edge, I jumped up and down and almost teared up.

8 Likes

Haha! You got me there! If I could enter position numerically I would share cut lines. With the optical you have to give it a bit of room for margin of error =P. better safe than sorry! I got the top cut line SPOT on the edge though. what luck =)

10 Likes

Fantastic! Keep it up!

2 Likes

Great job @takitus!

I may have missed this somewhere in your post, but I’m just wondering about the scale of this engrave. How big is the piece of cedar?

Thanks.

2 Likes

Thanks Ben! It’s about 4"x7". Here’s a zoomed out version that might help a little

33 Likes

The image is incredible. I downloaded it and zoomed in on the details.

I see why your earlier post stated that it is really more impressive than the pictures.

Thanks for the hi-res pic.

7 Likes

This is just insane! This is exactly what kind of results I want to see with the Glowforge/Proofgrade combo. I can’t stop looking at this thing!

I think you just guaranteed @dan a lot more proofgrade sales.

11 Likes

Please don’t start playing now. Wouldn’t want to run the risk of you getting hooked on it and abandoning shipping because, you know: I'll just play one more round... :wink:

5 Likes

I dont think Ive played a single game since I got my glowforge. Its kinda funny, because right as the winter event ended, my glowforge came in. perfect timing.

4 Likes

That is exactly what would happen. I don’t play games, not because I don’t like them, but because I like them too much.

32 Likes

That’s me, exactly. I generally try to only play casual games that require me to wait for another person to play, because it keeps me at a reasonable pace. Otherwise, I will get sucked into one only to later realize that hours have passed.

6 Likes

I got my fill of gaming back in the '80s. Haven’t had much desire since then.

There was a natural limiter back then, 25 cents/play!

12 Likes