Pre-Release | I've got you in my sights (prototyping)

Yeah you can make all types of cool stuff with it!

20 Likes

Oh mama! That is the stuff!

Have you tried doing a shallow etch to make it easier to stack perfectly-aligned pieces? If you can carve out just a millimeter or so, it would make assembling a complex design much easier.

3 Likes

its really hard to do on the glowforge right now. the power is too high and speed to low to get an even, non obliterating engrave. If you take a look at the white visor on the s76 helm it is on 1/4" material and went all the way through in a couple places on the lightest engrave possible. I have an old model though, the new ones might be capable of a lot more. also thicker material will have less issues. Maybe a lower LPI will allow for less obliteration lol

When assembling stuff from a cutout, a lot of times what I do is just leave it in the parent shape, and put the glue on the back side of it (just the pieces I want to stick), then line it up using that frame to keep it in place. In this case, I cut a red piece the same shape as the black piece, then cut the letters out of that. That way I could line them up perfectly, and then just drop the glued up letters into the slot to make sure they fit exactly where they were supposed to. Worked perfectly!

I do the same with acrylic. Like with this piece, which I did do an engrave first to slot in the letters:

16 Likes

Great info, thank you. Here’s hoping newer GFs can engrave with a lighter touch.

2 Likes

Stay tuned. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

Hello. I just got my GF set up yesterday and am now scouring the forums for knowledge. Do you happen to have the speed to power to foam-thickness ratios you used to cut the foam in your photo?

I dont recall what they were, and it was on a PRU, so it wouldnt be super helpful because the settings are quite different on release units. Im sorry =\

1 Like

No worries, thank you for responding so quickly. I’m running my own test now.

2 Likes