A friend of mine is doing a soldier 76 from overwatch,
and couldn’t figure out how to get his visor made. I have some red acrylic sitting around, so I told him to bring his test prints over and we’d see what we could come up with.
We needed to get a good flat scan of the visor shape, so we can adjust from there. I covered the 3d printed piece he had in masking tape, and cut around the edges of the tape.
I pulled the tape off of the 3d print, and laid it flat on a piece of .25" foam to trace in the GF and then cut out.
We fit the foam piece into the visor area, and took the SVG from the glowforge scan into illustrator. By comparing the fitment and measuring the gaps, we updated the SVG, and made a couple more iterations, each time getting closer to the final shape with craft foam.
Once we had what we thought was a good fit, and would work with the full quality 3d print he is going to do later this week, we cut it out on the glowforge out of acrylic to be heat shaped
We got it shaped up properly with some well applied heat, popped it into the rest of the headpiece, and its almost pefect! The final one obviously wont be pink after priming and painting =P. The visor will get edgelighting to pop the engraved band out when lit up.
This was his first time getting to play with the laser and he remarked how easy it was to iterate with this, and how much more fun it was than try to do everything by hand with razors or attempting a week long process with other materials before knowing if it was even going to work. We knocked this out in a few hours and it looks pretty great.
Hes really happy with it. Ill try to remember to post photos when the whole costume is done