Pre-release - Leather Adventures

Did you read the screengrab of the Adobe Capture CC FAQ:

It says that Adobe Capture determines the mobile or desktop app you can use the asset in.

I think that it knows that you all have Illustrator and thus allows you to export the SVG. That seems to be how these free programs work. That’s why you have to sign in to use everything.

Does this work for anyone who does not have an Adobe account that contains at least one of the supported apps by Adobe?

Is the camera roll an SVG or bitmap? That’s the key.

Anyway, sorry for derailing the thread @Drea, but the tracing operation is so crucial to doing everything digitally, or at least it helps lighten the work.

2 Likes

Arrrrgh. You are right. The image on the Camera Roll is a .jpg. If I log in to my free Adobe CC account on my computer I can only download in .jpg or .png formats. My version of Adobe products is CS5 and is not connected to the Cloud apps.

1 Like

One more derailing comment, then I’ll stop. @marmak3261, did you try imaengine? It is a vectorizing app that does save as SVG to Dropbox.

Yes. It’s funny, but I think I went through this whole deal a year ago when I first downloaded it. Now I remember why I never used it.

I was of the impression that without Illustrator CC, the process for using Capture would be to send the bitmap to Inkscape and then auto trace.

Yes, Inkscape can do the trace, but Adobe Capture does it a little better out of the gate. I’m trying to get Inkscapes centerline trace extension to work but I’m getting issues with the Python image processing libraries. I keep working at Inkscape’s trace. It does a pretty good job with good line drawings or images that have had some preprocessing. I’m sure there is more that I can do to get better traces. But learning curve verses node by node tracing? sometimes it’s easier because then I can get exactly the closed paths I want.

You’ve probably already tried this, but: what I do to get a better trace is clean up the image in Photoshop (you could use Gimp) first, adding and subtracting until it looks pretty close to what I want. It makes a huge difference in the quality of the trace.

Yes, it definitely makes a difference. I’ve been messing with GIMP a little yesterday and today to get some water for the stargate center circle. It took me two hours to get the ellipse selection tool to do what I wanted. I’m continually stumped by GIMP, but keep trying. At least I can turn an image to greyscale and sharpen the contrast a bit if needed. I also can remove backgrounds, which I learned from scanning the recipes and engraving them. So much more to learn.

Yes, me. :innocent:

I only have CC on my work computer under my work email. The example I showed was from my iPhone using my freebie adobe account under a different email. I went back to my work machine and was not able to see those Capture files from my pro account. Likewise, my free account cannot see my work library. QED.

This may work for me because I have explicitly set up exporting to Dropbox, Evernote, etc. In iOS. The export destination dialog is the same, regardless what app I’m using. I just tried it with Autodesk Vectorize It and was able to export viable SVGs from it using the same destination dialogues.

1 Like

That’s a great app, too…

6 Likes

This is intriguing. Nothing for iCloud that I can see to export to and that’s all I use. Will keep investigating. Thanks.

No apology needed! It’s what we do here :wink:

Besides, I’m reading along and learning too.

4 Likes

I am not giving up on this yet. I just have not seen any documentation that gets this done.

I wondering if this works because your Evernote and Dropbox have been given permissions using your other Adobe account, Adobe Capture. Seems far fetched, but I don’t see another way.

I got Dropbox setup on my phone and looked everywhere for a way to connect it, but don’t see it.

Well, I’m stumped. I know the presumption is that my pro account somehow “knows” about my personal account on my iPhone & iPad, but if that were the case, the two accounts should be able to “see” the files on the other. Not the case.

Sending the file directly to AI or PS does not work from Capture, since they are not connected.

Here’s the workflow I’m using on my iPhone. It’s worth noting that I am not using the “Open in…” option, but rather “Share…” in Capture v2.5, updated Apr 14, 2017, on iOS version 10.3.1.

Maybe the app is sensitive to the hardware? Doesn’t make sense since the computation is surely done “in the cloud” though.

It is also possible that the publisher has segmented the feature set available for testing purposes, and you drew the short straw.

1 Like

Like @marmak3261, I also do not have the Export As… command as a choice in the SHARE section of Capture on my iphone (or my ipad). Do you have other Adobe apps on your phone that Adobe is looking for, that makes this command appear? I tried adding the free versions of Creative Cloud and Adobe Draw, and that didn’t do it.

1 Like

This is getting interesting. Thanks for posting the screen shots. I do not have the export as option on the Share tab. I do have Capture v 2.5 loaded. Only difference is I have iOS version 10.1.1. Just haven’t taken the time to get everything set for a backup. Sometimes the sync surprises me and wipes out all the stuff on the phone. Hard tracking down all those settings and automatic features sometimes. I got bit in February and haven’t taken the time yet.

Maybe it is hardware dependent. I have 5se. Or you have an unlocked feature set.

This is driving me nuts!

Ok, I have an iPhone5 (so older hardware than the 5se), with iOS version 10.2.1, and I do see the Export As option now… but I am pretty darn sure it was not there before. So if it is not a weird issue of @dwardio getting access because of a different CC account that is somehow invisibly linked, I am leaning towards OS-version dependency rather than hardware dependency.

Although I hate to suggest an OS upgrade, because OS upgrades always mess me up in some way or another.

1 Like

Thank you!!!

Grumble, grumble. I’ll eliminate this variable and see what it does. I’ll back up and archive and update.

and I really do believe you @dwardio that it does this somehow. It will be really cool if I can do it too!