Pre-Release | Leather Bracelet

@karaelena How long does the smell linger? Or does it at all?

4 Likes

First look…braided bacon…then WOW…thinking BACOOOOON ! Your wife is awesome too !

8 Likes

The edges look remarkably unburnt. You guys make a great team.

6 Likes

Whoa! Mind-blown! :scream: :boom:

I totally forgot that there was proofgrade leather!

Nice work!

5 Likes

@PIGHEADED The proofgrade leather we got was white. She used wood stain markers to ‘stain’ it.

@JonS Not at all. But during the cut. You can absolutely smell it.

@cynd11 Nope. Not at all. Burning hair maybe? I can’t place the exact smell. But not good. But it passes quickly once the op is done.

14 Likes

out of likes, but really nice job!

4 Likes

wow!

5 Likes

Man this turned out great! I haven’t touched leather yet but this makes me excited to! Well done!

5 Likes

Holy crap!

4 Likes

What did you dye it with?

3 Likes

See Above.

4 Likes

I’m glad to hear that. The local makerspace had a policy of “It’s OK to cut leather, but we’d really rather you didn’t.” (Since then they’ve moved and have entirely new ventilation, so I don’t know.)

6 Likes

This looks fantastic!!!

Thanks for sharing :wink:

I’m a Capricorn too :yum:

4 Likes

This is very :squeeee: worthy.

4 Likes

SQWEEEEEE! Proofgrade LEATHER!!!

um… my composure is back… this looks FANTASTIC!

5 Likes

Anyone got that new sign Ophiuchus? I did

3 Likes

That looks amazing! What a brilliant design!

The current version of the Proofgrade leather is very light tan, unfinished, vegetable tanned kip leather. Extremely high quality. If you let it wear naturally it will darken to a mid-tan. You can oil it with all sorts of products, stain it, rub it with wax, use water to mold it… all sorts of cool stuff.

It’s really easy and fun to work with!

29 Likes

Yeah, there is a guy at my Makerspace that always does la ton of leather on the laser before I go in to use it and one could only WISH it smelled like bacon… or pork rinds… or anything palatable. Burnt hair. Have a really good exhaust system ready if you plan to focus on it. lol bleck.

10 Likes

That is good to know! My son works from home in the next room behind a closed door (GF is in a family room at the other end). He definitely smells the acrylic and wood and has made comments. I will make a point NOT to start playing with the laser AND leather until he is off work. Glad for the heads up!

I just ran across this thread again. I just love the design of the bracelet and the dangling beads on the ends.

1 Like