Pre-Release | Mother's Day Part 2: Edge Lit LED Sign

Videos really shouldn’t be uploaded as attachments in Discourse. Discourse doesn’t do a good job of delivering the video contents. I get most of the video, but only 2/3rds of it, because the streaming of it stops at 2/3rd. People really need to stop uploading videos to Discourse as attachments, and just provide links to the video uploaded into YouTube.

I’ve had problems with videos people have posted, and I’m using Chrome 58 on Windows 10.
(sorry if that sounds like a soapbox, but … well, video content delivery is my jam)

Yep. While safari does a bad job of it, it shouldn’t be displayed that way. I serve HTML5 video in my applications and that’s not how we do it, since that’s not how the standard specified it.

1 Like

Cute project.

Very nice piece, I’m sure she will be pleased. :heart_eyes:

Would you have a link to those LEDs? Thanks!

Here’s a link to @jamesdhatch’s original guidance. There are a number of suppliers for about the same price, all in Malaysia or China (don’t be in a hurry).

4 Likes

There are many online animated GIF generators and I try to use them if there is something particular to highlight and I don’t want to do a full video post on YouTube. They can be very effective. @karaelena does a great job at them.

3 Likes

Thanks! Good idea–I will do that next time. Not planning on starting a YouTube channel just for a couple short bits like this, GIF sounds like the way to go.

2 Likes

I use Vimeo and post my videos unlisted and then take the embed link and just paste that into my posts here.

1 Like

Everything does.

To think… next year my kids will be able to do something like this for my wife. Sure beats the heck out of the candy dish I made in art class when I was a kid!

1 Like

Except strangely Safari and Chrome use basically the same rendering engine, so basic syntax stuff should be preserved.

Except Wolfram’s Computational Document Format plugin mention in one of the puzzle threads. :wink:

Not being an iGuy, that’s news to me. Interesting.

True, I suppose. But Google (and everybody else) can’t be blamed because Wolfram isn’t keeping up with modern browsers.

1 Like

Although the google dev team did fork WebKit, so maybe they patched this?

1 Like

Honestly you can get the exact same effect using acrylic craft paints for a small fraction of the cost.

Very cute design though :grinning: your siblings will be jealous…lol

11 Likes

Hmm. Can’t view the video at all.
All i see is the ‘play’ triangle in the middle.

Aha! That explains a lot.

Just like Microsoft used to force people to do when they used non standard html!

2 Likes