Pre-Release | Structure

We already spend so much time in VR! ha this would be so much fun. Ive been working on something similar for my mom, as she is designing a house, so were scanning in furniture and digitized her blueprints to attach different textures to the walls to see how it looks. She is loving it.

Yes! Ha we run into this all the time, which is why I want to make a mount for my iphone so I can just use a selfie stick or something of that nature, and it not be so heavy.

4 Likes

There is a nice tutorial of a similar project (for a go pro) on AdaFruit:

3 Likes

Ah nice, thanks! guess I need to get my new 3d printer running!

What did you get?

I got a Formbot T-Rex 2.

400x400x470
dual e3d volcano hotends
multi-zone heat bed
bltouch
wireless

I skipped the laser addon =P

I got it right before christmas, but have been so busy with everything else I never finished putting it together. Glowforge has distracted me haha

13 Likes

That is a beast. Impressive. I just have to wait until the wife is used to 2 3D printers (E3D BigBox dual) and SLA (Slash)) prior to getting a large format printer (since at the moment I am limited to 300mm), along with an X-carve and someday a Glowforge… But given both her and my daughter have horses, they can’t really object since you only purchase a printer once, versus horses are the gift that just keeps on giving!

8 Likes

Im actually pretty jealous! I wanted a BigBox, and was excited to hear you liked yours so much. When I went to pull the trigger they had just stopped selling them, so I had to go back to researching. Ive seen some pretty great stuff come out of the formbot, so I have high hopes.

I looked at the Raise3d (and got to play with it at makerfaire NYC), but the price was just too much.

Oh man! You got a slash!? Has it come in yet? If so, how do you like it?! I was HIGHLY considering getting one…

2 Likes

Not yet, but they have started shipping (finally), but I am #416 so others get to find the first issues. When I mention how fast it can print compared to a form2, people ask what does that mean? 19cc/hr vs. 950cc/hr, I explain that I can burn through around $100 per hour of juice! :slight_smile: I am excited for doing detailed assemblies with it…

7 Likes

That is insane. 50x as fast as the form2! Im really sad I missed this kickstarter. I would have bought the double package!

What else is really cool is the ability to vary the layer height in a single piece. Very similar to the non-planar printing in FDM (which I havent gotten to try yet, but looking forward to it). I wonder if they are including that in the speed increases, or if that is an additional bump to print speed outside of the 50x improvements.

Youll have to let me know how it is as soon as you get it. Im holding off on picking one up until I see some real world results, but I almost clicked that order button today!!

4 Likes

I second this enthusiasm. I have a lulzbot but I also want SLA capabilities and this looks awesome

1 Like

SLA printing has a wonderful learning curve (sarcasm), I’m so glad the resins are not too expensive (sarcasm) because the worst thing would be to run a part and in the 9th hour it fails and wastes a half liter of resin.

All kidding aside, SLA printing is really nice once you get a solid grasp of the fact everything is hanging upside down floating in liquid, and support structures are just as tricky as the parts themselves because the contact points are also not fully cured.

Really gotta watch the amount of surface area adhesion to the peel film, because large models really strain the supports.

At least Slash would save you the time investment!

3 Likes

And fortunately you don’t often lose the build plate along with the resin! (sarcasm)

I feel ya…

3 Likes

I haven’t lost a build plate… I have stripped the threads out of the (aluminum) build plate from constantly disassembling and cleaning it, but since I replaced the plate I stopped doing thorough cleaning and solved that problem. LOL!

Now, the PDMS (silicone) vats are fun to work with (sarcasm). I was more than happy to go with a SuperVat when Full Spectrum made them available, works so much better for me and the material doesnt degrade like the silicone.

2 Likes

Cheapest from Amazon

5 Likes

I’d be very interested in hearing how the Slash works out for @henryhbk too. I’m also a bit sorry to have missed out on the KS for that.

apparently wanhao is starting to sell $399 resin printers. a friend of mine ordered one yesterday. It works very similarly to the slash. Not as fast, but LED screen below the unit for resin exposure etc. Monoprice will be selling them as well from what I hear

2 Likes

In a follow up in making mounts for the scanner- I had an older iPhone 6 Plus case. I broke apart the SVG and used it on it. I made a ‘cradle’ to hold the case. Then pew pew the opening for the sensor directly on the case.

16 Likes

ha! badass! I think I have a few crappy cases sitting around here somewhere…

Laser safe?

Thanks - hadn’t heard of the Wanhao yet and $400 certainly cheap enough for a shot at an SLA printer. Looks like that market has been heating up. I backed Ono on KS and should have their little printer coming in a month or so.