Pre-release - The things Ive made so far (and why)

Yes, I will take a photo when I get back home.

1 Like

Good job man, but just know Iā€™m planning on giving you some rivalry on the ā€œcool stuff made by laserā€

5 Likes

BRING IT SON! friendly competition is the best!

9 Likes

Thanks so much for this. I have not done much engraving and you really helped me understand some of the variation in design and settings that I can play with to get different effect.

Iā€™ll give you a teaser list:

For me:
A set of chrono trigger pixel art wall plaques for each character
A set of Lufia 2 character and capsule monster pixel art wall plaques
ā€¦probably go into some other games.
A carry box to house my Boss Monster card game +expansions.
A carry box for my cards against humanity and expansions.
A voxel figure I drew up of black mage of final fantasy
3d chess board( similar to seen in star trek original series)
A few other original board games of my own devising.
A new wallet. I havenā€™t had one since it fell off the roof of the car in the road last summer. I collected all the contents but the leather got shredded being driven over for a half hour until I realized I lost it. Lol.
Gonna get back to swords. (Warglaive of azzinoth and the Monaco)
Cosplay book and sword from shining force exa (PlayStation 2)
Iā€™ve got a scroll case Iā€™m itching to burn (for like, trading card game playmats)
Them tile platesā€¦ Iā€™ve developed a few prototypes in wood, the look great on their own, but wonā€™t make molds as easy as the acrylic ones do.
Going to spend time getting creative with anime characters in large engraved and painted wall art.
A series of marble chutes for my daughters
Iā€™ve been working on some plans of a little ā€œanimal crossingā€ village with tiny houses and trees that my girls could play with, and house the amiibos.

For friends:
Custom video game consoles
Display cases/stands for prized games/knives/knickknacks.
A memorial plaque for a friendā€™s dog that just passed this week.
And a lot of the first category.

I have a nearby neighbor who bought a domestic laser but has constant problems and it has really low memory. Iā€™ve been helping him get past his chiller and power problems, software probably, etc, since my laser is decommissioned for the cold. I might have to get that memorial plaque done right away but the rest of it will wait until I am blessed with a forge or until may, whichever hits first.

9 Likes

This could be heat related too. Hmm.

2 Likes

Ah man these sound exciting (all of them)! Have you seen Rose Colored Gaming? They make some really cool stuff similar to what youre talking about, and apparently people are eating it up!

4 Likes

They are a source of inspiration, yes. Mostly helping out a friend at punch out gaming in Minneapolis. As a vintage and used game store, they sometimes take in broken consoles and fix em. If they have a broken shell or they have just the guts, Iā€™ll make em something nice to house it.

Maybe try some old school dithering to reduce the banding?
Combine the dithered raster with a true grayscale?
So many things to experiment with!

Also, whatā€™s with all the laser pointer modules? :slight_smile:

6 Likes

You say red triangleā€¦ But all I see is purpleā€¦

@takitus Do you know what red looks like?

NOTE: Before anyone flags me for being rude :), the above question is meant in jest and is a reference to a very funny TV show called New Girl.

4 Likes

Iā€™m under the impression that itā€™s potentially thermally related, but it wouldnā€™t hurt to try it. Might do that tonight. Gonna test both I guess

Oh so many things. Always useful to have around. Alignment/depth verification for the k40 head. Also using a beam combiner so that I can have visible light for beam path alignment instead of burnin through tape all the time. (And sometimes my hand haha).

Laser beams for costumes are always great too! 5v so I can hook up to USB battery packs. Iā€™m making some gundam style armor with co2/fog effects that the lasers would look cool with/shining through. Helping my friend make purge armor from Rick and Morty with laser beams in the arms.

3 Likes

My girlfriend swears my car is blue, but itā€™s green. She just doesnā€™t realize how lighting effects color sometimes, or is just busting my chops.

10 Likes

Iā€™m planning on game boxes/inserts as well, and prototyping my own games when I ever get them to that stage. I have a nice stack of chipboard just waiting to be cut into chits!

2 Likes

Nice, im definitely making a custom catan case! Weve added on a lot of things not standard in catan, so it doesnt fit in the box anymore. Gotta make a new one =)
on lasers!

6 Likes

And custom deck-boxes for Magic the Gathering.

1 Like

Great Job putting the GF to the test. i canā€™t wait until i get my GF.

3 Likes

Still going to be doing things like that commercially too. Deck cases are helping to pay for it all. :wink:

3 Likes

Muhahahaha, my plan to get you to post more pictures worked!

4 Likes

Catan case for my custom build is in order as soon as my Glowforge comes. Right now I have all of those 3D pieces thrown into a plastic bin, which is not very good for themā€¦

Interested to see what you do for a solution.

1 Like

Make that two!
Prototyping games and building boxes. two things high on my list

1 Like