Pre-Release | They grow up so quickly

Bumbler… GET A BIGGER CAVE… DUH…

:slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Just going to be a grinch here - but don’t forget copyright…

1 Like

This falls under fair use. Its personal use only, im not selling it, and only posting photos for educational purposes without any major modifications of the original.

9 Likes

Genius, pure genius!

2 Likes

Hate to be “that guy” but that’s not how fair use works - selling or not is not relevant. Not really a discussion for this thread though. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Good call. And to help nip this in the bud: A thread to discuss fair use…

edit
The bud nipping was a failure.
/edit

8 Likes

And this might be easy to understand.

2 Likes

I only posted these images as an example of the tonal output of the glowforge. The stranger things is a non gradient, layered collection of flat, low contrast colors. The bioshock image is gradient heavy and high contrast.

Neither of these were uploaded because of their actual content, only as examples of how the glowforge handles them. We can have this conversation all day, but in the end Im only uploading so the members of this forum can see what kind of output im getting from the machine and ask questions about it if you have them.

I spend a lot of time writing posts about these, on my own accord, just to share with forum members because I enjoy this community. If youd rather me not post what Im making or limit it to only originally designed pieces, its not a major loss to me, I would have an extra few hours in my day - every day.

Im still going to make them for myself. But id rather share them with everyone in the forums… only good intentions here

23 Likes

I appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences — thank you!

8 Likes

Yes, please, thank you! For now, we live vicariously through your posts. Go :glowforge: - Rich

6 Likes

Oh, I hope you didn’t think I was saying you shouldn’t. Just that it’s a good thing for people to know, in general, what “fair use” actually is. As for you, keep doing what you’re doing and don’t pay attention to this stuff. Just a side-conversation that happened to take place in your thread, I’d say!

7 Likes

I sure appreciate the effort and the results!

5 Likes

No not at all man. My statement wasnt directed at you, I actually appreciate the link. Doesnt hurt to read up on it more.

7 Likes

Please don’t stop sharing your experiences. I learn from everything you post. :relaxed:

6 Likes

I apologize if I was a bit harsh earlier. Like I was saying, im not here to stake claim to anyone elses art or whatever. Im here for science.

If you honestly are interested and like the artwork and its not someting I made myself, just ask who it is. If they have an online presence ill be happy to share.

Any time I post anything on social media sites I always try to give credit where its due, and I post it in the appropriate areas where people can appreciate it the most. Check my reddit account/twitter/whatever. On the gf forum it was more for the quality of engrave, and not so much about the art.

If at any time you are actually interested in the art itself and want to know who the artist is, all you have to do is ask. Ill get back to it at some point and let you know. Im obviously not here to keep secrets from anyone.

Matt Ferguson did the Stranger Things image, and has a lot of other AMAZING work. I really dig his stuff, I actually own a couple of his prints. http://www.cakesandcomics.com/

Julien Nido did the Bioshock poster for bioshock/2k. I dont know if he has a real portfolio site.

15 Likes

We have interacted with you for a good year now, Your generosity,participation and knowledge sharing have been a strength in the forum. We know your heart man. It’s been on your sleeve.
Your ethics are intact. :sunglasses:

We feed on your posts… please don’t stop - or even slow down.

15 Likes

Thank you. Its been a long day and that means a lot.

10 Likes

Your creativity is shining dude. We revel in that almost as much as you… and nobody as much as Dan.

6 Likes

I was wondering if the images you used were just basic ones pulled of the internet, then converted to SVG or something else? Or did you get the images from somewhere else? I too am a huge Bioshock fan and would love to try this when my GF gets here. I look forward to your write up on engraving.

3 Likes

You’re showing pictures of things you’ve created, on a semi-private forum, and demonstrating techniques you used. No one should have a problem with it.

I wouldn’t sweat it. Take a night off. I love seeing what you come up with. :wink:

12 Likes