Pre-release users - outdoor odor from vented exhaust?

That was my thought as well.

But the same GF fan or blower will still be making the same noise at the source, right? Perhaps the filter will act as a muffler.

I have the same concern, though I’m hoping the particulate filters will be easy to source at commodity prices. A review of the filter, or even a demo video, could answer a lot of questions.

1 Like

I stood out by the vent today as I was cutting PG maple ply. I had to get within a couple of feet to get any appreciable odor - it dissipates very fast. The air is coming out a bit warmer than ambient but that was about 50F outside so any air coming from the house would be warmer :slight_smile:

The noise was not noticeable from outside - although I do have a 10" concrete wall between the GF and the outside (it’s in my basement). It’s also not really noticeable upstairs either. It doesn’t seem to be louder than my other machines. The others have all the components separately (water & air pumps). The big one has an air feed that I’m running 25psi off a 30gal shop compressor so just that air coming through the nozzle is loud. The pump for the little one (K40) is pretty loud. Altogether I think the GF may be a touch quieter but I don’t have a sound meter to check precisely.

I’ve also gotten the smells under control inside the house. I have my flexi hose attached to a repositionable elbow (it can swivel between straight all the way to 90) attached to a straight metal pipe from the dryer vent. I went over all of it with aluminum tape - including the seam down the length of the straight pipe. That took care of the interior smells during cutting. Now it’s just when I pop the lid. I’ve been playing with large sheets (20x12) on the bed and when you do that the smoke from the bottom of the piece gets trapped in the honeycomb until you lift the material. Smaller pieces let it get exhausted with the rest of the fumes from the top of the material.

What does smell does seem stinkier with the GF and I think it may be because I’m using PG that’s pre-finished and masked. The combination of the masking and the finishing smells different than just the raw wood or acrylic I usually cut with.

5 Likes

I was able to see the plume from making the puzzles today out back when I was standing in the front. It’s about the same amount of smoke as comes off my smoker when it first gets going (not when it’s going full bore, that’s a huge amount)

1 Like

you using PG for the puzzles or some of the Awesomegrade? Now that I’ve gotten every seam taped on my vent setup I don’t get the same swirl in the machine (that I’ve noticed) so it’s going out the other end faster. (My wife even commented on how it smelled much better when she got home.)

1 Like

Proofgrade Maple ply. The cut seemed to produce huge amounts of smoke while the engrave way, way less.

1 Like

Hmmm…I stopped watching today - as soon as I saw it was under control I shifted my attention to the next thing I was working on in Corel. Are you using the 100/27 settings for the maple ply or the automagic ones? Automagic the first time I did it was very smoky.

100/27

There’s some tuning we have planned that will make things quieter. Once that’s done I can see about posting.

4 Likes

That seems very different from @henryhbk’s video. I assumed the loud whine was travelling down the pipe with the air but maybe it depends how long it is and the number of bends. As it is high frequency it is probably easy to muffle it.

I’m going to run some experiments to see if I can muffle it.

You went straight out the back right? I have the flexi hose between mine and the straight piece. My outlet through the window is 32" above the GF’s outlet (center of the output port to the center of the elbow (30 degrees) attached to the output piping to the window. That gives me an 8’ flexi pipe that’s semi-compressed acting as a buffer between the machine and the piping. I wonder if it’s merely a question of the dampening effect of that on the harmonics of the airflow? Mine is also going through a plastic blast gate that’s between the hose and the elbow.

For my “emergency” installation it is about 3’ long with an S-bend of the semi-rigid flex pipe (all metal) to a 12" long straight pipe with louvers at the end. My real install will be 8-10’ of rigid pipe and about a 6’ rise (haven’t measured yet)

I bet we’re dealing with different flow disruptions in the different piping implementations that’s creating different perceptible “whine” in the noise levels. Now that’s gonna be fun for Support to deal with :grinning:

Glowforge ruler for exact scale

12 Likes

That rigid metal flex is definitely going to do different things to the air than the soft foil one that came with the GF. The metal one has less restriction.

BTW, foil tape will reduce odors. I bet you’ve got leaks from the Gorilla tape joints and that horizontal seam on the last pipe. I eliminated almost all of my smells when I wrapped it all with the foil tape. Now it’s just when I open the lid (the gaskets do a good job). But you’re gonna have to move it soon with a houseful of people coming over anyway :grinning:

3 Likes

That seems surprising that after the screw clamps (the one at the machine is kind of iffy since there is a tiny amount of overlap possible, vs a good solid 4-5" on my pipe at the end) and then sealing after that with gorilla tape? I mean it should be pretty well sealed just with tight clamps, this should catch the tiny leakage right? (one thing that someone mentioned was the raised sash, and when i filled that gap with a towel it got a lot better)

The wire in the foil kind at least is a spiral so the clamp isn’t producing a fully flat pressure plane to sandwich against the pipe. If you’ve gotten the clamp between the ribs on yours you may be okay. But foil tape is cheap. Also, the pipe you’ve got going into the board has a long folded seam. That leaks. A strip of foil will take care of it.

Smells are small :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: they’ll find a way out. Especially irritating or nasty ones. It’s one of the laws of the universe.

1 Like

No seam, it is continuous extruded pipe…

Huh. Your picture shows some kind of seam or line running perpendicular to the window on the top.

1 Like

must be artifact in the pic… I actually know this stuff is watertight, as this is the tubing I use in my fog chiller for my halloween fog machine so I have 8’ of this coiled up under ice and no water gets in the tubing… Here is a closeup (same all the way around)

3 Likes