Pre-release users - outdoor odor from vented exhaust?

Not that one. The other pipi that goes straight out the window - smooth walled one. I had to tape that top seam to make all the smells go away.

1 Like

Oh, yeah, that is a piece of crap. It comes as a flat sheet. Even worse there were huge holes in it for the snaps of the plastic louvers (like large enough holes that I donā€™t know how this works for a dryer! seems like it would dump dampness in your walls)ā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™d appreciate that. Maybe Iā€™m speaking only for myself, but Iā€™d like to see a lot more details and specs for the product, especially the Pro, and particularly for stuff that (to my mind) is not proprietary, like sound levels, Pro electronic device (Peltier?) cooling capacity, regulatory certification status, etc. One has a tendency to think about specs in a lot more detail when waiting quite a while for a product to ship.

1 Like

You might be surprised at how much exhaust can escape at the small opening made by the overlap on the screw clamp, especially at the GF end since the exhaust pressure will be highest above ambient there.

2 Likes

Thatā€™s really good news to me!

Thatā€™s even better news for me!

Ooh - thatā€™s not so good.

Thanks for all the great comments in this thread!

1 Like

I got a small plume of smoke this afternoon from the left corner - not sure front or underneath or swept in from the rear. I donā€™t think it lasted 5 seconds. I didnā€™t have time to wheel my chair over 2 feet and tuck my head down to look before it was gone. I suspect it has something to do with the timing of when the exhaust spools up.

Also, not sure if @henryhbk has the gaskets on his - I expect he does, but some earlier ones I think didnā€™t come with them. There are two rubber gaskets along the sides of the lid and another under the front door where it pivots downward. Those are undoubtedly keeping the smoke inside the unit. Iā€™m 45 minutes into a couple of prints on maple plywood and I canā€™t smell anything except for my wifeā€™s cooking from upstairs.

4 Likes

Just a thought: do a few inches of flexible tubing between the machine and rigid pipe and/or between the pipe and the window attachment buy you anything? Like the buffer sections in central air systemsā€¦

2 Likes

The exhaust leaves behind a very fine ash that easily wipes off the screen. This is a month of use. Kept neglecting to clean it.

16 Likes

Outlet after 4 months of use.

22 Likes

Seeing that photo I have to wonder how long the HEPA filters will last.

4 Likes

And if the fans inside will need periodic cleaning/replacement?

3 Likes

Well now you have me rethinking my venting setup. With that much junk flying through the exhaust, Iā€™m going to have to put an air filter in the line to protect my roof-mounted exhaust fan.

1 Like

I would expect them to have a reusable prefilter. at least that is how I would have made it.

Then you just clean the prefilter on a regular basis and the hepa filter lasts many X times longer.

5 Likes

That looks pretty much like the place where I put an exhaust fan in the window (inside the screen) to keep my office cool one summer.

That plume must be from the GF itself, right. Iā€™m not too worried about that as it should be fairly simple to fix, by either GF or a motivated user.

Your exhaust outlet doesnā€™t look too bad to me

What does it look like under the crumb tray or elsewhere in the GF and does it look like those areas will be easy to clean??

1 Like

Yeah some plywood smoke from a gap or opening in the housing. It canā€™t be airtight since itā€™s exhausting air during processing so I think it was probably a little backflow from the air intake as the exhaust fan spooled up.

1 Like

This was actually super helpful to put in perspectiveā€¦thanks!!

To my ears the Dewalt router on my XCarve is far, far louder than the Glowforge unit.

2 Likes

This is a good idea. I could run the Traeger and the Glowforge at the same time to confuse people. Is that brisket burning, or slow-roasted plastic?

7 Likes