Pre Release: What to do with a stout tree?

No kidding. I absolutely kicked in with monthly payment via Patreon when Gina lost her sponsorship. She’s great, and really listens when you provide constructive feedback.

2 Likes

That holder should work pretty well. If you’re doing slabs, the difficulties are less. A lot depends on your piece of wood; regular clamps assume that you can just bear down and nothing will roll or slip. You might want the back higher, with some holes that could can insert some kind of clamping caul into, and then the clamps in front grip the caul rather than the log/branch. (Or just some short fat screws through that part coming up in the center front, and accept the waste…)

Good luck!

1 Like

Cool, I may PM you when trying this out, if I encounter weirdness. John (my friend who I made the beer holders for) just cut down a bunch of cedar trees, and offered if I want to come cut some branches I can, so might do those this weekend!

Me too. Octoprint is one of our robotic overlords I truly appreciate. (Has anyone tried the cura slicing plugin – I’m thinking about using that at the local library, but not if it’s too slow or finicky)

the problem is it is generic (older version) of Cura. Depending on your printer that may or may not work well… I mostly use S3D on my BigBox and Cura Lulzbot edition on my Taz6 in the lab…

I haven’t even had a printer using it for a few years (moving house changed priorities) but I still kick in because I want it to still be there when I need it again.

Ever since I got into woodturning, I’m always on the lookout for felled wood I can easily gather and use for projects. I’ve made dozens of items out of the hackberry, oak, ash and cedar from around my area. I love to see what some would consider trash wood turned into something cool (like the Guinness logo) or even something beautiful.

I’ll show off a picture of some of my work in a more appropriate thread sometime. We turners do like to show off. :slight_smile:

I am looking forward to getting my Glowforge. I have some ideas that would make my segmented pieces very cool, I think.

2 Likes

So you must have a big lathe?

Mid sized. 12 inch swing over the bed, or 10.5 over the tool rest holder.

I tend to make small items like birdhouse Christmas ornaments, pepper grinders, lidded boxes, and my favorite afternoon project; goblets. I love turning goblets. Basically useless, but fun.

3 Likes

Thanks! I may stick to what I know, then (which is slic3r – not ideal, but I have lots of profiles that work).

Someone once described that plugin to me, as if you were stuck on a desert island and the only way to survive was slice with that plugin, they might use it…

1 Like

Love it.

Why wait? Ask and ye shall receive… :slight_smile:

https://community.glowforge.com/t/show-and-tell/

I suggest you find an ale tree and make half and halfs. :wink:

Cheers!

4 Likes

That is beautiful. How long did it take to engrave?

1 Like

I want to say 15-20 minutes if I recall…

3 Likes

Great! Thank you!

Funny to come back to this years later; @joe 's Glowbaby and mine are classmates and good friends now. XD

1 Like

Very nice. I have some mesquite branches I plan on doing some thing similar with. And I love Guinness, especiallly at the Dublin storehouse. It is SO MUCH tastier fresh than after being shipped across the pond.

1 Like

I’m with you on the Guinness, though last night being Burns’ Night I stuck with Belhaven. :smiley:

Cheers!

1 Like