Preorder deal for replacement laser tube and/or air filter?

Fair enough

1 Like

so I’m sure there are people out there though I can confirm I’m not one of them, who ordered 2 or more Glowforges. Given the size limitation per shipped item that constrained overall glowforge size, you were pretty much forced to ship each as an individual package?

1 Like

UPS, Fed-Ex and USPS all have weight restrictions (about 70lbs I think) for regular shipments. Anything above that requires more paperwork and special handling, therefore more cost. They are pushing the limits already with a single package.

1 Like

I thought the problem was the lenght + girth restrictions or absolute length.

1 Like

Those are issues too. But there are definitely weight restrictions as well. Think about it, a single UPS driver or postal carrier can’t be expected to lift more than a certain amount… regardless of the shape of the package.

I used to work for UPS loading trucks and heavy items were supposed to be delivered to our trucks, but sometimes came through the belt system. No matter which, if it was marked heavy we were required to get help to lift it. If we were caught lifting it on our own, we could get reprimanded and fired.

2 Likes

when I worked at the paper factory we would shop large rolls on ups on occasion but never past 75lb as the driver cant be expected to handle that solo. However 99% of our stuff went big rig or train

I hate haveing to be around to sign something however due to box size and condo rules I’ll have be home to bring it inside so it doesn’t block the stairwell

3 Likes

There’s always the option of diverting it to the nearest shipping facility and picking it up there.

1 Like

UPS website lists 150lbs. Maybe instead of paying a gym I should see if they need an employee. :muscle:

3 Likes

I found an “Additional Handling” charge that is added for long packages or those weighing over 70lbs.

UPS was always hiring back when I worked there. It wasn’t a bad gig; part time work with full benefits including vacation time, decent hourly wage comparing to other manual labor type jobs. Union so I could do just about anything short of stabbing someone and not get fired. Seriously, I calculated it out once and I could walk out one day and come back a month later and still have my job (using my vacation/sick time as part of it). My location was an airport hub, and one of the tug drivers put a hole in the side of an airplane and just got “demoted” to belt duty for a couple of months… I’m starting into rant mode, so I’ll stop talking about it now.

6 Likes

I can just see coming home to the wife, “Uh I had crazy day at work today. I crashed into a plane.”

The stories you must have.

3 Likes

doesn’t gain me anything because I still have to be involves

1 Like

Wouldn’t you want to be involved anyway? If it didn’t require signature, and you didn’t have to worry about blocking the stairwell… would you really want your $2k-$4k laser just sitting on the porch? I certainly don’t!

3 Likes

that’s what I’m saying no matter what I have to be involved so re directing it to the retail location is just more inconvenience with no gain

Ya I have left mich more expensive at my door between me and my hall mate just much smaller boxes

1 Like

It’s a benefit if you can’t guarantee being home for the delivery since the Glowforge will almost definitely require a signature.

3 Likes

Actually FedEx also does freight shipping as I just found out cause I just so happened to order a 100w laser to compliment the GF and it just so happens the shipping weight according to FedEx is 488lbs now granted this unit to compliment my GF also has a work are of 28 x 20. So it appears they are capable of much heavier that 70lbs.

FedEX does indeed do freight, but its more expensive.
I remember @dan stating at one point that they were trying to keep the packaging within the regular shipping constraints so it could be delivered as normal packaging not as freight.

1 Like

Sure, but with special consideration, I.e. They have more than one person to help deliver it, it’s a special truck with a forklift attached, etc…

1 Like

Not denying those facts was just mentioning they also had freight services as well and it really wasn’t to bad on the charges being the cost of shipping only being $200, at least that is what the seller charged me, from CA to FL when shipping charges from WA to FL for the GF Pro cost me $175.00 not that I’m complaining about the shipping charges of the GF because that is not the case. I appreciate they are planning to ship it in a sturdy box/container.

I think they were also concerned about shipping overseas…freight would take for ever I would think…slow boat or something like that…lol

1 Like

Because we worked to keep to normal shipping, we can only ship one at a time.

2 Likes