Preparing for Glowforge

Hello all. I’m new to Glowforge. I have not received my unit yet its due towards the end of the month. I have no experience in creating files for use (to be cut) on a laser cnc/printer. Are there any links or books to learn how to create these files? I do 3D printing. I use Fusion360 and TinkerCad. But, I’m not sure where to start to create my own files (svg and so on).
Thanks. Any advice would be appreciate.

2 Likes

can start here.

There are a lot of tutorials and other information sources. Weeks worth of reading, so get comfortable with a drink nearby and dig in.

5 Likes

The fact you already create is enough. Enjoy your new Fantachine. :sunglasses:

1 Like

Thank you for the input.

Thank you for the advice.

If you would like to post a file, an svg, of something you would like to make, we can assist you in ensuring that it will work in the Glowforge. I spent a lot of time on the forum in the runup to the delivery and learned so much that I was able to make a file that worked right off the bat. But there were some design features I had to learn by experiences. The tutorials are great.

2 Likes

Thank you. But, I would first have to learn how to create a svg file. What program creates that type of file?

You are in luck! Since you already use Fusion 360 just install the Shaper Origin and/or the dxf laser plug in. The so outputs a svg and the dfx laser outputs a dfx that can quickly be converted to svg in Inkscape.

1 Like

oh, thanks. I will check out how to install that plug in. Thanks. Much appreciated.