Pretty Colors

So I’ve been playing around with a few things in the last month, basically variations on my canvas work. The basic idea is applying a color/finish and then using the laser to engrave on it. This particular piece is a colorful lid for a box:

To start with, I sprayed the wood with Kilz paint (which is fairly laser resistant). After it dried I set about causing chaos with alcohol inks (I love a certain amount of randomness in my work). I also sprayed a coat of shellack on top which reactivated the inks. I think clear acrylic might not have reactivated them, but I was going for a bit of chaos, so I am fine with it.

Next, I pulled up a circle pattern I created in Inkscape and lightly etched it onto the lid. I was hoping it would fade the colors for the circles and I managed to get it just about right on the first pass.

I could go less power or fewer lines and get more of the color, or higher power / more lines and get a brighter white. Definitely something to explore further.

BTW: Wear gloves with alcohol inks as they will happily stain your fingers. Also, you want to seal the wood before applying the inks otherwise the fibers just slurp up the ink and it doesn’t spread

73 Likes

That is a REALLY nice effect. Thanks for showing how you did it.

9 Likes

I love the structure imposed by the circle patterns over the chaos/randomness of the ink layer. This would be great for a piece of wall art - or the beginning of a tryptych.

4 Likes

Yes! I was thinking maybe something multi panel, but those large engraves take so very long. I might bring it over to the CNC, where I have 32 inches square to work with (and cutters move faster).

3 Likes

That’s really great! I have tons of alcohol ink, I’ll have to get some Kilz and try your technique!

Thanks for sharing!

5 Likes

Thanks for the tutorial. I never cease to be amazed at the creativity of those on this forum and the many ways to use the :glowforge:

1 Like

Really gorgeous…nice technique!

3 Likes

Beautiful and creative technique, I love it!

2 Likes

This is great. I wonder how it would look with a drip/pour technique.

2 Likes

What a cool technique! Thanks for sharing the before and after engraving pics- it really shows the effect of the pattern.

4 Likes

Love it!!I see this being a background for a label of wine.

3 Likes

That came out really cool! :clap:

2 Likes

That is beautiful. Thanks for the write up too!

2 Likes

Good idea! I will have to remember that for the next time I make a batch of wine.

3 Likes

This is the kind of energy I want in my life, lol

This is really cool!

3 Likes

I do not know if I have ever shared this with you. Last year you shared a picture of your kitty and his adorable toes.

Every single time I see a post from you ——I immediately think about Tootsie and I always smile. I just love that picture!!!

I renamed your kitty cat Tootsie because of the picture.

3 Likes

Too funny. I bet it was this one:

He is quite a bit larger now days (Not that I have room to talk):

8 Likes

Yes!!! Definitely the first one.

Tootsie is a big boy now and there’s absolutely NOTHING wrong with that!!! Absolutely beyond precious!!!

So many people think because I have two dogs and no kitty in my life I do not like cats. I also love kitties!!

I did have a great kitty. His name was Pepsi and he was a Maine Coon. The majority of his life he was 25 pounds. Pepsi went to Rainbow Bridge on December 31, 2012 and I miss him very much!!

Now I have a song that’s going to be attached to the second picture.

Rock-a-bye Tootsie in the tree tops
When you fall asleep
the Glowforge will rock

Ok not my best— I will work on it.

4 Likes

This is beautiful!

3 Likes

Beautiful results! Alcohol ink really is a joy to work with on the right surfaces.

1 Like