Pricing items and customer expectation vs. reality

This is something I’m always up against. I deal mostly with dog folk who want some “minor” custom tweaks to an item when in actuality it’s a total rework of the design. Or they’ll want me to design something from scratch and could they have it in a couple of days please and they really only want one piece, OK thanks. They just have no concept of how much time goes into designing and testing a piece. So now I’ve settled on giving a quote for the piece as is and then I throw in my per-hour custom art fee with a friend discount that brings it to $25 hr. I’ll close with how many hours went into each finished pieces. (One of my more popular basic pieces was about 10 hr design time.) It’s amazing how many folks have decided that they don’t need customization after all lol. I also give the option of letting them provide their own club logo or artwork that I can remix with some of my existing elements and that seems to be a good middle ground for folks.

3 Likes

I don’t even take custom orders at a total of less than $30… I don’t care if you want one leather tag or 5 leather tags, its still $30.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.