Starting selling

I have recently been asked if I could bring some items I have made with the GF to a craft shop this weekend. They are demonstrating/promoting the Gf, along with the Aura & some assorted cutting machines. I was hoping to sell some of my items but I am quite shy, so I have a problem knowing HOW I could sell them. In exchange for showing some of my items they will promote my work. I will be promoting the GF in return. Is this a way of starting or do you think it is a little one-sided? I have no idea what to do - please help?

2 Likes

If you make items for sale, I think you should pack up a few examples and head on over to the event. In addition to showing what you make for sale, you will meet other makers and potential customers in a neutral environment. The investment necessary seems worth the effort to me.

5 Likes

Thank you for the advise. My next decision should be pricing… again no idea. Do you price them by material cost & time?

3 Likes

Both material cost and time (both design time and machine time) should be factored into the price. I don’t sell things, so I am not very helpful.

5 Likes

Use the search function, the magnifying glass in the upper right for your question. :sunglasses:

1 Like

This won’t answer your question - but might help you frame your own answer:

My personal default is 3x what it cost me to make, and I charge $50/hour for me time. So $20 sheet of material (I’ll charge for a half sheet if the item is tiny, but otherwise full sheet) + 1 hour to design and print = $210. It’s not cheap - but I’m not a bulk laser house, I make custom items.

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.