Print setup while printing

Is there a way to set up another print job while a print job is printing? This would make my project go so much quicker.

Not in the GFUI, and there likely won’t be. You need to be watching the laser while it is running, not setting up your next job. If you haven’t already, look for the reports of what has happened with users who have left their laser for even just a few seconds and their project has caught fire. I haven’t seen reports of a single fire damaged machine that didn’t have to go back for repair.

Edit: changed the wording for clarity.

First my printer has just one user ME. it sits right in front of me when I am on my computer. With that said I did some digging around and answered my own question.

From the Project page I left clicked on a project and had it open in a new window. I went to the new window and while my printer was printing I set up a new print job. The stats of the running job (time remaining) showed on the new window but as I finish setting up this new job I am right here checking on my printer’s condition as it engraves and cuts the first project.

Oh the pleasures of experimentation.

1 Like

Do this at your own risk. There was a video here where one user was looking almost at the laser when it caught fire and it still almost destroyed the machine. I think it was less than 30 seconds.
There is no built-in way in the GUI to allow you to do this and if I were GF I would eliminate the ability to have multiple logins at the same time.

1 Like

Actually, I’ve done it. It’s possible, although you need to keep even closer track of which one you are working on so you don’t get something stuck. Just open two tabs and set one up for each file. (Don’t forget and send the second one to print while the first one is running though. It causes the bulb to blow up.)*

Totally joking, nothing will happen. Once the job is sent back to the machine, it will finish independently of whatever you are working on in the app. :smile:

5 Likes

Actually, I frequently set up another job while the laser is running. (I do it with my laptop sitting on top of the GF so I can see what’s happening.) Once it’s printing, the job has already downloaded to the GF, so what you do in the app doesn’t matter at that point.

3 Likes

It’s a stateless connection. You can have as many app windows open at once as you want to. It’s not going to affect the currently running job.

5 Likes

Sure, I would still eliminate the possibility for the distraction that it causes.

1 Like

You don’t even have to open multiple tabs, once a job is sent the browser is free to set up the next job.

2 Likes

Still, the OP was asking about a technical possibility, not requesting your permission/advice. We need to make sure we’re providing accurate information. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My opinion aside, I didn’t consider starting a new dashboard session to be part of the GFUI.

Edit: removed incorrect information I wasn’t aware of.

It’s a browser-based app, which gives it browser-based capabilities. :slight_smile: GF has said previously that you CAN start a new project in another tab while printing, so your categorical “no” would be misleading to new users looking for accurate information in the forums.

2 Likes

Are my posts not showing up? The second the server has processed one and sent it to your unit you can start on another. I do it all the time when I am on a tear.

5 Likes

Can’t you see there’s an argument going on here? :joy:

5 Likes

Sorry, my bad. :rofl:

4 Likes

I think an argument has to have two valid sides. This doesn’t qualify.

2 Likes

Your type make me want to vomit! Oh, sorry, wrong room.

1 Like

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 32 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.