Printing sequins?

I have 12 still as well (the K40 likes 12 but can be made to work with X8 so I haven’t used it in awhile but I left it installed for K40 problem troubleshooting purposes).

Expecting my first great grandson in July :smiley:

5 Likes

Holy cow! That’s gonna be beautiful! I want to see the end results too! :grinning:

(And congrats on the up and coming great grandson!)

1 Like

Wow, I just looked at your site. Beautiful work!

3 Likes

Thank you, but I must give the major credit to my late wife, Pippa, who was the artist.
She did all the illustrations on the fans, I provided the impetus, and the ‘engineering’ side of the business.
It saddens me that I haven’t yet updated my web site, but it will happen soon.
John

4 Likes

Some of the heat transfer metallics do not show the fabric through at all. I have been using some Holographic Metallic from Siser that really sits on top of the fabric rather then forming to it. It has a very plastic hand-feel, and does not shrink with the clothing, so it has somewhat limited use with soft garments, and it does not age as well as some other materials after repeated washing… but it is really shiny and something like it might work great as fake sequins. I cut it with a plotter though; it is one of the “heat transfer vinyls” that is in fact vinyl (pvc).

12 Likes

WIP

I’ve managed the screen printing of the silk, and pleased with the results so far.
The colour is closer than appears in the photo.
Will carry them over to Corinth in a 20 days time, for Bill’s sequins to be attached, and will post next photos then.
John

10 Likes

The faux sequin panels are all cut, weeded, and packaged for mailing. They were cut from an adhesive foil made for lasering. Since I don’t have a laser (yet), I cut them on a Silhouette Cameo. These adhesive foils are usually applied, then laser cut or etched. I wonder if it will be possible to dial in settings tightly enough to “kiss cut” just the foil on the Glowforge?

14 Likes

I sincerely hope so Bill !
I’ve got a lot of other fans waiting for the GF to arrive !
I’m still astounded at what you have done, size wise, with the cutter.

2 Likes

I would like this, but I am not a huge fan of sequins. :laughing:

8 Likes

Each to their own :wink:

Like everything, sequins, in moderation do no harm and can be healthy for you.

Sequins in excess can be painful.

3 Likes

I fell into a tiny little google image-search hole, and found this at the bottom:

18 Likes

Perfect for today!

1 Like

Come on people, a huge FAN!
Sheesh, I expected at least one of you would get it. :rolling_eyes:

8 Likes

I am so curious as to how this will turn out. Great collaboration!

2 Likes

I totally missed that. I must have stayed out later than I thought playing video golf at the pub last night.:slight_smile:

1 Like

My bad ! :blush:
Even I didn’t spot it, so I think you can forgive the others .
John

1 Like

As promised, I am able to post pictures of the finished silk and sequin fans now the bride has received her wedding present, and the new adult in the family has her 21st present.

My heartfelt thanks to Bill Laba for his aid in producing the sequins (600 per fan).
The reaction of both recipients was very satisfying, and I’m equally pleased with the results.

I’m just sorry that my photos don’t capture the true colour of the screen print, but it was spot on.
I finished with a green/gold leaf for the bride, and a blue/red version for the 21st.

22 Likes

Those are absolutely breathtaking! All those little sequins! :heart_eyes:

2 Likes