Pro downgrade?

:grinning: Seriously. I don’t think they actually bother with certification or maintain whatever build procedures got them the machine they used for testing if they did. But the machine meets the requirements of a Class 1 device as built. It’s fully enclosed and requires intentionally bypassing an interlock to fire the laser with the lid opened. (That’s why pass-thru machines won’t qualify as Class 1 because normal operation requires it to fire without the full enclosure being intact.)

I’ve added additional interlocks (theirs was a button in addition to the power that needs to be pressed before the laser will fire) with a lid switch that interrupts the power if the lid is raised and the same if the coolant isn’t flowing. Of course, just like my table saw, some of these guards are sometimes overridden by the operator :wink:

My K40 doesn’t have any type of auto shut off if the lid is opened. I can open the lid just fine while in opeeration without any stopping or disruption to the laser. Class 0 ? lol

1 Like

Or maybe no class at all?

1 Like

It should have a separate switch besides the power switch to enable the laser - if you don’t specifically hit the button, no laser. Not as foolproof as a lid interlock but sufficient. (The lid interlock isn’t foolproof either since you can always override it by taping it down or if it’s magnetic using a handheld magnet.)

The reason machines with a pass-thru are Class 4 is because operation as designed to be used (e.g. with the pass-thru door open) the operator is potentially exposed to errant reflected laser light through the open door. As designed to be used, the Chinese lasers contain the laser light in the machine so they’re Class 1. Otherwise you’re in very low power levels to allow a laser that is not contained in an enclosure that won’t mark or cut anything.

Whether they’re officially certified is a whole nother thing :smiley:They tend not to be big on expensive certification processes. A certification sticker is no guarantee it was actually evaluated by a certifying agency. I’ve heard tell that sometimes the labels are fake :scream:

Now we’re talking my kind of laser. :grin:[quote=“jamesdhatch, post:24, topic:2336”]
A certification sticker is no guarantee it was actually evaluated by a certifying agency. I’ve heard tell that sometimes the labels are fake
[/quote]

Reminds me of seeing sheets of DOT stickers for motorcycle helmets.

2 Likes

isn’t that Mable the # 12 inspector ?

Yep. Wasn’t sure folks would get the reference though :smiley:

1 Like