Pro-fess your Pro-ness, please!

I plan to make some light weight furniture with the passthrough. small speaker’s stand, some signage, etc. Granted I’ll have to do some gluing on some stress bearing parts (glue two 1/4 inch pieces together after they are cut.

3 Likes

Woahhhhh I hope you do this.

Don’t take this the wrong way @bailey, the only thing I want to see is my Glowforge on my work bench. HAH

3 Likes

Totally understand. I do too. And the way I see it, is the better I can do my job right now, the more I’m setting up Glowforge to serve our customers for a loooooong time to come.

7 Likes

what made me choose Pro over Basic? : #1was definitely the teleport gate to the future that made my mind and now I found out I get free laser glasses that I can take with me Woohooo!. #2 the passthrough

Looking forward to see GForge pro videos!

3 Likes

If you get a blank wood skateboard, with the wheels not attached yet, it would probably make a pretty good video to show off the pro and the passthrough. I bet you might be able to find a skateboard shop who would donate that board, or let you use it if you give it back to them afterwards, all for some branding on the video of course. They could then deck it out, pun intended, with wheels, etc.

3 Likes

that would be sweet, but I don’t think we’ll be able to get an actual skateboard deck through the passthrough slots: Decks aren’t flat (and that’s not even thinking about the nose and the tail!)

4 Likes

Ah, good point, I need to get some calipers…

2 Likes

Calipers are mandatory, there are a lot of things that are nice to have but you just have to have calipers.

4 Likes

Then, we have the rulers that have been produced when GFers get their unit, maybe we should have a Glowforge Founder YARDSTICK for the Pro Units. Heh, this will show the passthrough.

4 Likes

Agreed. I went over 47 years without ever using one and now I use it many times a day.

2 Likes

Have you seen the :glowforge: square? A must have and only uses a small amount of acrylic. Another daily use item.

2 Likes

No, but will search it now. Thanks

1 Like

Here’s one I did, but I haven’t uploaded the one set to the larger bed dimensions. Give me a second.

5 Likes

Originally, I ordered the Basic in December 2015, and after a year, to the day to be exact, I pulled the trigger, and upgraded to the Pro with filter. The pass through slot was the one feature that interested me the most. The capability to lase projects beyond the bed limitations just makes the Pro that much more versatile. My thought was, I’d rather have that feature and not use it, as opposed to needing that feature and not having it. The 45 watt CO2 tube and upgraded cooling are a bonus also. As for projects, I have lots in mind however, I haven’t even begun to learn Inkscape or Photoshop so it’ll be a while before I get from concept to completion.

I plan on running veneers through the glowforge and just adding another layer to the deck. A bit of sanding and you’ll never be able to tell it was after the deck was built.

4 Likes

I recently preordered a pro after finally freeing up some money. I went with the pro because of the cooling. I think the importance of the cooling has been a little understated, and I almost went a different direction because there isn’t a way to hook up a more powerful water chiller. The reason I still went with Glowforge, is the commitment to costumer service I have observed. I have seen too many hobby tech companies that put out incomplete equipment and then don’t invest in support.

3 Likes

In addition to the business products that I have planned, I hope to use the pro pass through slot for garden projects like raised beds, borders & random garden art.

5 Likes

I just posted in the Made on Glowforge section, and have a pdf that includes the pics i mention in the writeup.my first post. I didnt understand formatting. Let me know if you would like pdf, or pages file, can save as docx also. 36mb orig file, pdf is 26