Pro User Insights

In reply to the OP, like others have mentioned, the pass-through is great when you need it and hopefully will become that much more awesome once the software is updated. Like others, I wish it had been 1/2" instead of 1/4 simply so I could engrave thicker/longer pieces, but I would certainly still take what I have over none at all. Most my jobs haven’t been that long, and I keep the room the forge is in around 75ish (gets a little warmer sometimes) and I’ve never had a hic-up. Though It’s hard to quantify, since I’m using mine as the corner piece for a little side business the improved cooling, improved optics, and slightly more powerful tube made it worth the extra for me. I’ve been going about 3 weeks and I have no complaints or regrets.

2 Likes

A table with casters fixes that problem.

1 Like

It is a win but it’s not the big deal it seems at first blush. I’ve been doing the occasional pass through on the Redsail and it’s a full 9" tall - the front & back doors drop down. It’s a common feature on 100W & larger Cheap Chinese Lasers now :slight_smile:

I don’t expect 9" on the GF but I honestly expected 2" when I bought based on the material capacity. Since there’s a drop down front door already, it seems like a drop down rear door could have accommodated that. I’ll still use it as is but it’s not as big a deal to me as it was when I signed up.

1 Like

Huge difference in price too! :wink:

1 Like

That’s why I didn’t get all worked up over the lack of Z or the inability to add a rotary attachment. But the slot approach to a pass-through is counter to the way that feature is installed in almost every other laser I’ve seen. They all have drop down doors (with locks).

GF’s implementation of just a slot in a door (the irony is not lost on me) is unique and self-limiting. The whole front of the GF drops down and opens up to the 2" height that is supposed to be the max material thickness. Never occurred to me that the back wouldn’t also just drop down the same way to allow for a pass through of full material height. Still not sure what the rationale was for that decision - it would have saved them the whole thing with the new slot covers, the special rubbing strips used to close the slot down, etc.

2 Likes

I’m sure there will be plenty of mods for these things within the year. I wouldn’t sweat it.

I don’t. The Redsail still works :slight_smile:

Rumor is that you can do a half full-thickness (2") pass through using the front garage door :sunglasses:

I’m guessing the Friendly Neighborhood Lawyer is happier with the 1/4" slot. Nobody’s fingers are going to find their way into the machine this way.

3 Likes