Problem with template

I am a new user. I wanted to try a material that is not proof because of the lack of Glowforge’s supply. I started with a template that has a few pieces and only cut one to see if my material would work well. When I went to print the entire pattern, I am unable to retrieve the pieces I removed and now can’t complete the whole thing. I tried to delete the pattern from my dashboard and it will not delete and doesn’t have all the pieces needed to complete it. …help?

Never mind. I found the reset design.

3 Likes

One of the things that I like to use to check to make sure that something has cut completely through is something like this inexpensive vinyl weeding pick:

Try to lift the center cut without shifting the backing material. If it does not come out, just re-run the Cut portion of the job without shifting the design or the material on the bed…it will re-cut a second pass right over the top of the first one and save the job.

The trick is to not shift either the material on the bed or the design on the app screen. (Which is why the Honeycomb Pins are invaluable.)

1 Like

Since this topic is about materials that were purchased from another company, we can’t offer support for prints. Materials may vary widely from piece to piece, even if they’re created by the same manufacturer. I’m going to move it to Beyond the Manual so other folks here can help.

If Glowforge is unable to supply materials, you should probably look into better service for your customers. Have you seen your available materials lately? Nonexistent! Empty! Out of stock!

Some things are beyond control. I live in the PNW, a lot of the lumber factories were shut down from the fires last month.

Finding new materials is super rewarding in any case. I made a small test file with a bunch of short cut lines cut at different speeds to help find the best parameters. There are also some templates in this forum if you search around. Good luck!

Have you seen the impact the pandemic has had on all kinds of businesses? The entire supply chain has been disrupted and if Home Depot can’t keep the material I need in stock, I don’t expect GF to be able to either. I consider it an inconvenience, but pretty minuscule compared to the other impacts the pandemic has had.

2 Likes

I have. But to give the response of to me trying to work with other materials as:

“Since this topic is about materials that were purchased from another company, we can’t offer support for prints. Materials may vary widely from piece to piece, even if they’re created by the same manufacturer. I’m going to move it to Beyond the Manual so other folks here can help.”
you should be expanding your service to your customers in an effort to be of assistance and support your product. If you are unable to supply your customers with needed materials, you should find a way not close the door.

To be clear, I’m not with GF support, I’m just another user. (The GF folks have “staff” next to their name.) There’s a million types of materials out there and they can’t help with something when they don’t know what’s in it or how it’s made. Once they determine the machine is working OK, they have to let the other experienced people here take over and try to help. I know it’s frustrating, but the collective group here can probably get you sorted out.

2 Likes

I personally have an account with a local exotic lumber yard. Never had any issues. Kinda hard to argue with baltic birch @ $0.18 a panel and sometimes less. and purple heart $1.25 for the low end stuff. I guess the thing is use what tools are available. So what Glowforge doesn’t have, just made me look deeper into what is and isn’t available in town and online.

3 Likes

Hi AAnden. Thanks for this. There are a lack of resources where I live. Everything must be online. I am learning to think outside of the box. My initial frustration was because I spent a great deal of money for this machine and the moment after, there are no materials available, only the few practice sheets that came with it. Glowforge’s response has been less than helpful with other resources. Fortunately, I have some found materials through Glowforge’s competitors and other Glowforge customers who have their own online supply businesses. Any chance your exotic wood vendor ships? Can you share?

1 Like

Not sure if they ship, but the web address is https://petermanlumber.com/
They have locations is California, Nevada & Arizona.
My best advice is to NEVER accept “No” there is always a way, you just have to find it.

1 Like

Have you posted something along the lines of, I live here and need help finding suppliers of…?

You should get several “helpful” responses and hopefully a couple of helpful responses. A lot of people seem to just read new posts and never come back for the follow ups. So making a new post in Everything Else, if you haven’t already, is my suggestion.

1 Like

I’d start with this post for finding online wood suppliers

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.