Procedurally Generated Objects

I love it. I can’t wait to hear more about it. I have never thought of procedural generating the images to drive the glowforge. If you plan on sharing more information, I would be excited to see it.

Also I love me some dice towers, and if you are selling the files, I am totally interested there too.

Shown interest in the file is inspiring but there’s this from the forum FAQ:

I once built a 3.5 ed cleric specifically to only need a 20 and a d8 at the table. Helped narrow down spell choice. All spells and weapons: d8, hp at level: d8. Easy mode!

1 Like

Ok, what you’re describing is amazing…and that tiny dice tower is adorable!

Nice! I have written software to procedurally generate boxes that I use for board game inserts. Not just the outer, but dividers, etc.

I don’t do the nice looking art on the outside because it fits into an existing box. Yours is very nice!

Great minds think alike! That is exactly what I am doing as well… It is one of the personal applications I am using the software for. I have an Etsy shop I recently opened up… etsy.com/shop/theshipshapegamer where I sell some of my box inserts. Let me know what you think!

Oh fine… Had to throw down the gauntlet! :slight_smile:

How about this? Can’t really go any smaller without the dice hanging up inside. And I don’t think they make dice smaller than 5mm… :open_mouth:

• Robert

24 Likes

You have a glowforge. You can make smaller dice. Assuming you don’t have a 3D printer.

Not sure how well dice cut from 3mm or smaller stock would roll, but is that really the point?

4 Likes

Haha! Will check it out. I was on etsy too. Sold about 200, but ended up closing it down.

Good luck… im looking forward to seeing your stuff.

Bruce

I was just talking with my wife about how much I need something like this (software, not dice towers), since we have a GF but aren’t proficient with design software. Are you keeping an email list of interested parties?

And here I just assumed you made the smaller and smaller and smaller dice.

2 Likes

Wow! That is awesome!!! I dig it!

I, too, would like to see more on your generator.

Ditto - put me on the alpha / beta tester list! :smiley:

Fantastic Dice towers. I’ve been thinking about parameterized cuts as well. What software are you doing the code in?

I would love to help test and/or purchase this kind of software. If you’re keeping a list of interested parties, put me down! :grinning:

At this point, I am afraid the software is for internal use of my business. But should that change and we decide to make it public, I will definitely reach out to the Glowforge community for assistance! :slight_smile:

5 Likes

They look so neat all lined up! Love the new baby!

Awesome dice towers!

FWIW, if people remember my polygonal jigsaws, they were generated using a Python toolchain: custom python code -> reportlab PDF generation library -> Glowforge.

I have experimented with Python -> SVG -> Glowforge, and it works, but I’m more comfortable/familiar with the reportlab library, so that’s my path of least resistance.

2 Likes

Thanks for responding. I do love the dice towers!