Procedurally Generated Objects

Loving my Glowforge! I have been working on a software suite for the last year to easily create patterns for common objects. Similar to some of the template generator sites out there but with lots more functionality and flexibility. One of the early efforts was dice towers. Select a material, specify a size, choose options and voila! SVG file that goes straight to the Glowforge! I even have algorithms in there to “box pack” (or “nest”) the pieces to optimizing material usage (although these could certainly use some improvement! :wink: ) The software also understands some of the differences between materials and adjusts as needed to compensate (for example, draftboard pieces fit together differently than acrylic ones do and so the software adjusts for the difference in fit, friction, etc).

The great part about this is the precision… because it is all mathematically calculated, all the tabs fit perfectly. No glue, no hammering, no fiddling with the nodes in Inkscape… just nice tight fit that works right, all the time. Incredible time and material saver… if I want to create something new there is almost no trial and error, so generally no wasted material on early prototypes.

The dice towers collapse into themselves for easy storage. Fits like a glove! And the small one is (based on my research…) the Worlds Smallest Dice Tower (I should call Guinness!) Don’t make me go smaller… I will do it! :wink:

Anyway, I thought I would share what I am working on!

• Robert
87 Likes

Can’t wait to learn more about your software suite!

5 Likes

The portcullis doesn’t slide up and down!?!?! Tooootaaalllly worthless!

Kidding, great job. :+1:

Can you choose from different dice engraves? I mean who uses six-sided dice? :grin:

3 Likes

True… should probably put some options in for that. D6’s are so yesterday… :wink:

4 Likes

Very very cool! Of course my favorite is the teeniest one. Would love to know more about your new system. Do keep us posted!

3 Likes

Rogues, Wizards and DMs, mostly… :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is awesome

1 Like

Yes, please! WANT!

The software ounds intriguing - can’t wait to hear more about it!

1 Like

That is awesome. I can tell you that I prefer a parametric design or software generated because so often the free designs need tweaking for materials and fitment. I end up redoing a lot of them to fit my use case. Thus I usually make my own designs from scratch.

The auto box apps really help, but something like this is another level!

2 Likes

Smaller! It needs to fit on @designvh619 ‘s table!

3 Likes

I think you’d have to cut it out of veneer to make it that small!

2 Likes

But it’s still a good challenge! And dice to match. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Love! Can’t wait to hear more about your software. My adult son has recently asked for dice towers.

1 Like

And just when I think I’m doing cool stuff. SWEET stuff!

1 Like

Intriguing!

Very cool! Keep us posted on your progress.

These are simply wonderful. I love the tiny one… I love them all. Is this template available for sale? I am in need of a great dice tower template and this one is practically perfect in every way!

Definitely interested in seeing/hearing more about this software. :smile:

#DoWant

Those look great! Keep us posted on your software progress :slight_smile: