Production units being delivered

LOL, kudos, that was witty!
That speaks directly to the English sense of humour.

17 Likes

No but it is based on forum status and that appears to be influenced by sentient beings that consider my views negative.

I know it will take as long as it takes. At the end of the day it will probably be about right for going from a good idea to building up a company and progressing it to volume production. What I am critical of is marketing it as if it had all the amazing features back in Sep 15 and the continually trying to hide how much work is required to launch volume production and how far behind you are.

If it performs as advertised I will praise it as an excellent product. If it doesn’t I will attempt to point out the discrepancies.

I think there is a total mismatch of cultures here. I was brought up by my parents to be honest, so I expect companies to be. I managed to run a successful business by being totally honest and upfront with my customers and the specification of what I was selling. As a result I got nothing but good feedback and nobody had any complaints.

9 Likes

Wow! I have no idea how one would respond to that. I think the culture this side of the pond just got slammed…

8 Likes

I believe you. I’m sure you’ll find some things to like and something things to frustrate you.

11 Likes

I should add that even without the amazing advertised features it is still a very good product due to its compact form factor, integrated cooling and ease of use. There simply isn’t anything comparable if you don’t have room for a floor standing machine, which is why I haven’t cancelled.

18 Likes

I have to agree. It’s pretty evident that it will ship without many of the “12 Revolutionary Features .”

I assume that the “let us ship yours” letter will outline in detail which features are working, and which are planned for the future through software updates. For all we know, those who have received the letter have seen this and have been asked not to share that information.

But still, all in all, the balance of available features will keep me from cancelling.

2 Likes

Yes but if they are really shipping production machines it’s a bit late to be keeping what they do a secret.

5 Likes

No need to assume. You are partially correct. We have seen this. But nobody asked us not to share it. Personally, knowing full well that anything in that list could change at any time, including prior to when I receive my Glowforge, I feel that sharing that list is one small step below spreading misinformation. Just my personal opinion and choice.

I don’t think there’s any information there that hasn’t been shared publicly or, at least, semi-publicly here in these forums. I could be wrong, but I think I already knew everything by keeping up with forum posts from staff, betas, and pre-releasers.

6 Likes

It’s not so much a secret as it is each email, or at least each wave of emails, is tailored to its audience regarding the feature set at that point in time, so each email wave could potentially have different feature sets.

So six months from now, if someone is researching laser cutters for purchase, because things live on the internet indefinitely, they will find not only incorrect information, but multiple versions of incorrect information.

7 Likes

I very much doubt the software will be finished six months from now, even if all the machines are delivered by then. I think it is completely ridiculous to keep the features implemented a secret. All software evolves over time, release notes with version numbers and dates resolve the problem of multiple versions of old information.

The fact that the information is being kept secret again makes me think the first delivery is sometime off. Surely when production units are in the hands of customers the current feature set and the manuals will be publicly available.

4 Likes

There are no secrets. Could have shared the “completed” list and the “to do” list as it stood months ago. Nothing that is not already in the forum and discussed on a daily basis. Just many of us choose not to re-publish the information in an easy to exploit form for the Facebook trolls who seem never to acknowledge that the shortfalls are works in progress.

Judging from your forum activity, you are fully aware of what works and what doesn’t. There is no available information on feature priorities, or timelines.

10 Likes

I think maybe you’ve misread or misunderstood something. Please re-read my post above.

4 Likes

meh. It’s all the same info we already know from the public announcements and daily discussions on this forum. Everyone here already knows the info.

Just think, there are ~9,000 non-forum visiting GF purchasers whose extent of knowledge on this whole project is what has been emailed directly to them (and we all know there are NOT a lot of emails from GF, they dont even email the monthly updates) or what they may have picked up off Facebook or YouTube. So sitting on this forum and complaining that information is not being shared is total bogus.

3 Likes

So nothing new since the last of the PRUs? Not even the low power control?

It’s very hard to know what works and what doesn’t from this forum because the betas are secret and all the PRU machines seem to be a bit different. Even the people using them seem confused as to what the autofocus actually does, whether full 3D engraving as shown by Dan is rolled out, etc.

How often does the software update? Are all the PRUs running the same software? Will the PUs run the same software as the PRUs?

Surely once production machines go out there will have to be software release notes. How on earth will anybody know what their machine is capable of otherwise.

5 Likes

Does it matter?

Do we all need to know the minutia of the development process of a product that we are not materially involved in? Nope.

Is the information owed to us simply because we bought a ticket to stand in the Will Call line at the box office?

No. All we need to know is that the box office is not open yet. We don’t need to know the reason the box office isnt open is because the ticket master is still cleaning the toilets. Knowing that doesnt change the fact that the window isn’t open.

Whether you let your own curiosity over unresolved detail frustrate you, or don’t worry about it, is completely your choice.

Sure. Nobody said they wouldn’t do as such. It’s standard operating procedure, I’d assume GF would follow suit after initial release. How they manage their revisions before public release is up to them, as long as their system works for them.

2 Likes

I wrote a big long explanation and then thought better of it. Agree that the answer to these questions is, does it matter? There is nothing that can be accurately extrapolated from my answers.

5 Likes

Yes, while they are not shipping it doesn’t matter at all.

5 Likes

That analogy isn’t quite accurate. It’s more that folks are wondering will all 3-acts of the show be shown opening night, or has the cast only learned the first 2 today, but will know them in a few performances. Standing the in the will call line, this might matter a lot, if the only way to know if you want a ticket refund is to know whether all 3 acts or just 2 will be performed prior to picking up your tickets.

11 Likes

Yes you could be tied for last!!! I know that wasn’t that funny.

2 Likes

That analogy doesn’t fit either.

It’s more like somebody who holds a Season Pass that allows them into every show during the performance’s run. Maybe they’ll get the opportunity to attend the red carpet opening night but with a missing act. However, they know eventually they will have plenty of opportunity to experience the total package as intended, AND they get to see it mature over time.

:slight_smile: Why, yes, I do live in the land of sunshine (literally, 340 days of sun here and we’re half-baked)

4 Likes